1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Roamio QWERTY Remote… Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by sbiller, Aug 23, 2013.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  3. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Sure hope it works for my Mini, assuming that accidental Amazon app release is the read deal and coming soon...

4. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    So it's the Slide with a re-engineered keyboard and two button changes!!

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I hope it has the same weight. I also wonder if it will be the size of the original Slide or the size of the new Roamio remote.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It looks to be about the size of the new Roamio remote. I've got my slide sitting in front of me and it looks a bit more compressed.

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Makes sense since otherwise the letters would be too small with the control pad.

8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    This is great news- since the Slide was one of the best product designs TiVo ever accomplished.

9. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I'll take at least 2 please ...

10. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
  11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    According to the article at Zatz it's not confirmed that the keys are backlit. I use three slide remotes and without the backlighting the keyboard would be useless to me since there is not usually enough light for me to see the buttons.

So hopefully there is backlighting for on the remote. If there is I will pick one up to use with the Roamio. And continue to use Slide remotes with my two Minis. Then I'll take my third Slide to my GFs house to use with one of her S3 TiVos.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Do the Slide remotes work with the S3? I thought they only worked with Premieres.

13. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Still using my Harmony remote with the Roamio. I don't see any advantage in switching.

14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    "Harmony" is a brand lineup, not a model. So it is impossible to know what you are comparing with. But here are the main features of the Slide:

* The Slide's response time with BluTooth is much faster than an IR remote.
    * RF means aiming is never an issue, although it has IR *also*
    * QWERTY keyboard with second nav set
    * Standard (excellent) TiVo peanut button layout
    * Hard keys (instead of mushy rubber)
    * Backlit main buttons and keyboard
    * Some buttons learnable
    * Superb battery life (like over a year) even in use several hours every day

15. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Nothing at all is confirmed. All we've got is that lone image. :) The TiVo button looks different than the Roamio remotes, more translucent. That kinda sorta indicates a backlight could be present...?

16. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    Now if someone can scoop the availability date!!!

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't know.

18. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Using a Harmony Smart Control remote which most of the above features and many, many more.

I'm very familiar with the slide remote concept. I bought 2 of the previous ones days after they were available and both developed the glitches described in this thread after the 90 day warranty.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=463987
    Once bitten, twice shy.

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Eeew, that is mostly based on a phone. No thanks- blech. Power button every time. Hard to hold. No tactical feedback. I can do that now with several different Android programs and hate them all. I want a real remote. And their included remote doesn't look as nice and has no keyboard. I am sure I would like the Slide better.

Oh, I am also quite familiar with the Slide glitching. It ruined my first Slide (also out of warranty, of course). And now my second one is just starting to do it. And it is not just a loose ribbon cable. It is the one critical flaw with the Slide- reliability. I hope that is fixed in the "new" "Slide" coming out.