1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo return question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mishafp, May 9, 2014.

1. mishafp

mishafp New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    My HDMI port went bad within my 1 year warranty period (after the 90 day period), so I'm going to return my tivo, pay them the $49.99 for labor, and get a replacement TIVO. I'm also planning to do an advanced return, so that I get the new tivo out before I have to send back my old one (which I'm still using, only with the component cables).

The question I have is will I be able to transfer the programs (that aren't copy-protected) from my old tivo to the new one? That is, do both TIVOs need to have independent service contracts to permit this? Thanks! This will impact whether I send back the TIVO now, or wait a little while and try to watch all of the programs off of my old TIVO before turning.

2. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek Reality Challenged

Nov 18, 2001
    Gulfport,...
    You could possibly use pyTivo, kmttg or Tivo Desktop to transfer the shows to a computer and after you get the replacement transfer them back to the new TiVo.

3. mishafp

mishafp New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Yeah, I guess I can try that if all else fails, but I don't have those programs and it may not working... I'm wondering whether I could just use just the usual TIVO mechanism for transferring shows between two TIVOs (since I will have both the new and replacement TIVO in my house at the same time, thanks to the advanced return deposit program), as I did when I bought the TIVO Roamio and I grabbed my old shows off of my Premier before re-selling the Premier.

4. mishafp

mishafp New Member

Nov 7, 2006
  5. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Which model was it?

6. mishafp

mishafp New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    I have the Roamio Plus.

7. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    That's very interesting because it usually happens to Series 3 TiVos. In fact, it's the first time I've heard of it happening to a model other than a Series 3 HD.

One of my HDs has a bad HDMI port. Two others are fine. One of these days, I'm going to attempt to repair the broken one.

8. mishafp

mishafp New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    I have had TIVOs going back to Series 2, and this is the first time my HDMI port has failed. A couple of others seem to have this problem with Roamio as well: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=512706

I don't care too much because I switched to components without causing any problems, but I figure I might as well get it taken care of before my 1 year comes up because I have lifetime service on this thing.