1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - The sale is back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! The PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)." https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale#/secondchancelifetimesale

Tivo Remote with Sony STR-DN1040 Reciever

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by aceoftrades, Jan 5, 2014.

1. aceoftrades

aceoftrades New Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I have a Tivo Roamio and a sony str-dn1040 receiver. None of the codes work with the receiver. I also have my components in a closet so I cant switch to the glo learning remote. Any help would be appreciated.

2. takeagabu

takeagabu New Member

Oct 7, 2007
  3. aceoftrades

aceoftrades New Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks for the reply but it didn't work. It seems to have something to do with the receiver being set to AV2 and not AV1. Trying to find out how to switch but there's nothing in the manual.

4. spsheridan

spsheridan New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I recently purchased a Sony STR-DN1040 AV Receiver as well and I also cannot successfully set the code on my TiVo remote to control the receiver. I've attempted the following with no success:
    1) Tested all of the remote codes suggested by TiVo for Sony receivers.
    2) Searched through and tested all codes the TiVo remote can generate (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/292)
    3) Attempted to program the TiVo remote with the 1040 remote (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278), but my TiVo remote doesn't support this feature.

I've successfully programmed TiVo remotes to control two previous Sony AV receivers but the 1040 is a challenge, maybe because it is so new to the market. Has anyone successfully programmed their TiVo remote to control the DN1040 and if so, what is the code?

5. jefneto

jefneto New Member

Jun 2, 2017
    First you must know that the Sony STR- DN1040 will not communicate with your TIVO remote if the remote is in RF mode.
    When the remote is in RF mode you can control you devices even if the devices are in a closet. Now if you want your remote to control the SONY AV STR-DN1040 your remote need to be in RI mode and your devices have to be exposed to it.
    Here is how:
    MAKE IT WORK WITH YOUR SONY AV RECEIVER

STR- DN1040

Step 1. Do not do the pairing of remote to TIVO machine, that will put your remote in RF mode.

Remember by not pairing the remote you will have it in RI mode and you will have to aim the remove to your

receiver to turn tv and av on and off. And to TIVO box to move thru the guide etc.

With your remote set back to factory setting.

Return Remote to factory Setting:

1. Cover the top of the remote with your hand.
    2. Press TIVO button and Power button at the same time
    3. when red light flasher on top of remote…
    4. press thumbs down three times
    5. press ENTER.

YOUR REMOTE IS NOT SET BACK TO VIRGINITY

NOW TO PROGRAM YOU REMOTE SO THAT IT WILL TURN OFF BOTH

YOUR TV SET AND YOUR SONY AV STR - DN1040

1. Go to TIVO central.
    2. Scroll down to Settings and Messages.
    3. Select SETTINGS (on The right)
    4. Select REMOTE, CABLE-CARD, & DEVICES
    5. Select REMOTE CONTROL SETUP (DO NOT use Pairing your Remote)
    6. Select TV POWER, VOLUME AND MUTE (Follow instructions on screen)
      1. a) scroll down to find your TV brand and select it
      2. b) Hold down TV Power Button and TIVO Button together for 5 secs. until light on top of remote remains on.
      3. c) Enter 4-digit code for your TV (Mine: 0375)
      4. d) Test Power button on your TIVO remote it should turn TV off.
      5. If it does not work repeat steps 1-3 using next code and so on.

NOW PRESS SELECT TWICE TO RETURN TO REMOT CONTROL SETUP

Proceed to scroll down to: (on the screen)

Part 2: A/V VOLUME AND MUTE (SELECT IT)

B) Scroll down to find you AV Brand (Mine is Sony) SR -DN1040

C) Select your brand.

Now do not follow instructions as shown on the screen

instead of holding down the MUTE and TIVO buttons together for 5 secs.

Hold down the Power Button and the TIVO button together for 5 secs

then enter the code (1008 for your Sony AV).

Your remote should now turn your TV and AV simultaneously, remember you need to aim at the receiver or
    to the ceiling near where the TV and the AV are..

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    FYI this information is not correct as the TiVo remote will function in RF mode for the TiVo and in IR mode for other devices (TV and AV receiver) with no need to switch modes. It knows that other devices will not use RF mode (which is specific for the TiVos). :)

Scott

7. RFEngineer

RFEngineer RF Jockey

Oct 29, 2006
    I don't use it anymore, since I have a Samsung sound-bar and wireless rear speakers now, but I used my Sony STR-DN1040 with the TiVo Slide Pro remote for years and it controlled power, volume and mute. While I still have the receiver in the room for music, and I'm not going to go back and reconfigure it now for testing, suffice it to say it worked perfectly for me as recently as a year ago.