1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo remote RF communication issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by grimlock212, Apr 20, 2017 at 9:07 PM.

1. grimlock212

grimlock212 New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    My TiVo has been having issues for a while with getting a remote system. The TiVo is not in a cabinet, and nothing in my setup has changed. I have two different remotes (standard and slide) and neither makes a difference.

I am often getting a red light on the remotes which I assume means it's having communication issues. My assumption is there is some sort of RF interference. Maybe a new cellular tower? Is there a way to switch RF channel or something along those lines? Or any other suggestions?

It's really annoying.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The red light means its using IR (infrared) to try to control the Tivo. It does not mean its having issues. When you see the yellow light, its using RF.

When you use the remote and see the yellow, it tries to communicate with the Tivo and when fails, switches to IR and back.

It can happen when the remote is out of range, low battery, etc.
    How far are you from the Tivo when it happens?

3. grimlock212

grimlock212 New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Maybe 8 feet from it, and I have tried swapping the batteries.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its unknown whether interference plays a role, but if there are microwaves, cordless phones, radios, are to be kept at least 3 feet away.

5. grimlock212

grimlock212 New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    The only thing that I have about 3 feet away is a wifi extender. Maybe that's the issue. I can try moving that tomorrow.

6. grimlock212

grimlock212 New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I just unplugged and re plugged the TiVo in, and at the moment it seems like it's fixed. Who would have guess this could fix it? I'm having zero issues now. Consider me perplexed as to why this would fix it.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Feels like the standard computer support help line first "advice": "did you try turning your PC off and then back on?" ;)

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Battery condition is never a question in RF mode. It's displayed in System Information. Regular batteries are about 90%, and lithium batteries are 100%. Lithium last longer but die quicker.