1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Remote Control From PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jgbrown54, Apr 17, 2014.

1. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    I have tried several PC Remotes for my TiVo and they all have limitations. One of the best I found was for Virgin Mobile in the UK. But the buttons on the remote are in different locations than a standard US remote and it couldn't handle channel switching for the US such as channel 10-1.

So I created my own. It uses the Telnet interface available on a TiVo to control it using an image of a standard remote. It also allows you to create a channel list and switch channels by simply clicking on the channel in a scrollable list.

I need some people to test it for me to look for any bugs and to recommend changes. It is a work in progress and additional features, such as a help file, are planned, but so far it seems to work extremely well for me.

A couple of quick notes on use.

To edit the channel list, click on the Edit Icon.
    [​IMG]

After editing the list, click on the Back Icon to save the changes.
    [​IMG]

When in the editor you can do a right click and call up a context menu allowing you to Insert or Delete rows.

Options for the IP Address and the port to use can be changed by clicking on the Options Icon.
    [​IMG]

The port should be left at the standard port number of 31339 unless you need to change it to do some port mapping on a router.

It can be downloaded from http://instipics.com/remote/TiVoRemote.zip.

Please give me feedback. :)

2. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
  3. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Is this for a smartphone/tablet or for a PC/laptop?

4. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    I believe the description says PC. I have tested on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Looks nice, but does it do anything that the remote simulator in KMTTG doesn't do?

6. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    It's just a small footprint TiVo remote for Windows.

My TiVo is in my media room and the HDMI output runs to 4 other TVs in other rooms. I needed a way to control the TiVo from the other rooms so this runs on my Windows tablet. I don't need to transfer and decode shows. Or if I do I use TiVo Desktop to transfer the files to the desktop in my computer room, then use Direct Show Dump to convert it to MPEG and then use VideoPad or Prism to convert it to any other format. Then I can save it on my 4TB Network drive and play it on my Media Player or DVD player that supports XVID files or share it with a friend.

7. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    What HDMI splitter do you use for that? Just curious.

8. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Hmm. It's a No-Name from China for $27. Here is a link on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LMN5N8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The first picture is not correct. Look at the second one.
    I also use a 4 port Switch that I got on EBay. Here is a link to it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/310901211322?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    It's nice because it splits the audio out onto a fiber to run into my surround sound. And I can switch from TiVo, to Media Player, to DVD, to Wii.
    So the output of the switch runs to the splitter.

9. Sep 2, 2014 #9 of 26
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I have tried 2 windows TiVo remote.

The one listed above the photo of the remote is to big and I have to scroll up and down.

Is their is way to make it smaller so I don't have to scroll it up and down?

TGC

10. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Wow. You mean someone actually tried it?

I made it this way for 2 reasons. 1. I use it on my Windows tablet and one drawback with other remotes was that the image is too small and difficult to read. 2. Once the channel list is populated I rarely use the number buttons.

There are a couple of ways I could modify the program.

One would be to modify the window size to show more. The other is to use a smaller image.

The first change would depend on your screen resolution. On a screen 1024 X 768 you can make the window taller and the existing image fits. Then I could save your window size and it the next time you open the program. So let me ask......what is your screen resolution? And.....if you grab the bottom edge of the window and hold down your left mouse button to stretch the window and also grab the blue bar at the top of the window to move it up and then stretch it again, will the image fit?

For the second method I could offer an Image Size setting in the options. Either Large or Small Image. The large image would still need to scroll like it does now and woould work for me on my tablet whereas the small image would be sized to fit in the window and would work well on a monitor or laptop.

Or I could do both. Make a larger window and a smaller image. Let me know what would work best for you.

Thank you for testing my remote. As you can see I have had very little response. Are there any other changes you would like to see or anomalies your have experienced? Which option above would you prefer?

11. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    The Channel changing is pretty cool. I admit that... but I never watch live TV. Unless the event is live, like a ball game or something.

I only watch recorded, and then do a lot of jumping back n forth. So as nice as the channel changing feature is, it isn't much value to me.

I wanted a pc remote as I watch TV and work on my laptop. Having a remote on the "Desktop" is much easier and quicker then picking up my ipad etc.... I use the TiVo app on my iPad to schedule all of my recordings. :)

Because of the laptop dimensions.... I only see 1/2 the remote. :(

I understand that making it smaller, might make it harder to press the buttons, especially if your on a windows tablet. Maybe have a choice of two different sizes???

TGC

Since this is a laptop, the internal display only has one resolution setting.... 1366x768. I have the remote window open as large as it goes... From top to bottom. The other option you could consider, is the option to have the channel listing on the left or right of the remote, as well as on or off. Just an idea.

12. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    another feature idea, is a button like the configure button/option button for more than one TiVo as I have 3 and to switch required putting in the ip address each time. :)

Just an idea

Otherwise it seems to work quite nicely and really quickly! :)

TGC

13. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Good suggestions. I'll work on these.

I'll put in an image size selection but just to understand, I made it so you only see half of the remote so I can have it large for my tablet which you don't need. You should be able to see everything except the number buttons when it comes up. Are you seeing less? You say you watch mostly recorded stuff. What do you use the numbers for? Why do you need them for watching recorded stuff?

For multiple TIVOs how about if I use the A, B, C, and D which are currently unused buttons to switch between them? I have no idea what these buttons are supposed to do.

14. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Try this one.

http://instipics.com/remote/TiVoRemote.zip

I added an Image Size selection to the configuration screen and used it to resize the image so it fits without scrolling and moved all of the control buttons to their new locations. It will also save your selection for the Image Size and use that the next time you open the remote.

If this looks good I'll move on to your next suggestion.

15. spocko

spocko TiVo HD

Feb 4, 2009
    Resurrecting this thread 2 years later. :) Thanks for sharing this app.The image size selection seems to work fine. I'm running it on a desktop PC with mouse, so the smaller image is preferable.

If you're still working on this, I'll second these feature requests that were mentioned earlier:
    - Add option to hide channel list (to make the window more compact)
    - Add the ability to store the IP address of multiple Tivos, and switch between them using a set of buttons or a drop down list. Do not use the A/B/C/D buttons on the remote to switch Tivos.

Thanks again.

16. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    There have been so few responses I didn't think anyone but me cared to use it. I have made some changes such as adding a button to hide the channel list if you don't want it, activating the A, B, C, and D buttons since I finally upgraded to a TiVo that uses them, Did some sizing on the windows so that they only clip the bottom of the remote if your screen resolution is low, and fixed the up arrow key that no one even bothered to mention wasn't working right. Give me a few days and I'll post an update. I'm going to be out of town for the weekend. I'll also look into adding multiple TiVos. The channel list can be nice if you are like me and only use OTA, but if you have 300 channels it would really be a pain. I find that I don't really use it anyway. I just go to the Guide. So I'll probably just eliminate it entirely. My original plan was to populate it like the Guide. But I assume you can see the TV screen so why bother. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. This was never meant to be a do-all TiVo desktop replacement. Just a small footprint remote.

17. spocko

spocko TiVo HD

Feb 4, 2009
    Sounds great, thanks! It makes sense to keep this app small and simple. If someone wants Tivo desktop-like features, they can use kmttg, which has an integrated network remote control feature.

18. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
  19. spocko

spocko TiVo HD

Feb 4, 2009
    Thank you very much. Here are a few observations with this version:

- When using "small" mode, the icon to expand/collapse the channel list is not displayed correctly. (non-issue if you are going to remove the channel list)

- Unhandled exception occurs when clicking on the remote buttons if the IP of the Tivo is not reachable

- When using "small" mode in Windows 10 with default theme, the maximize/minimize/close buttons cover the entire title bar, so there is no grab handle available for moving the window around. Windows 7 doesn't have this problem because the buttons are more compact.

- A user could get around the above issue by resizing the width of the window slightly, but that is not allowed. The window always snaps back to the default width.

- The window does allow vertical resizing, but does not provide a scrollbar when resized smaller than the image. It would be nice to provide a scroll bar, so user could make the window small and expose only the part of the image that they need, for example the middle section with the playback controls. If scrolling is hard to implement, then maybe you could provide a button that toggles between the full image and a smaller image containing only the playback controls. Not a huge deal. As it is, we can already resize to hide the part below the playback controls, so maybe that's good enough.

20. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Thank you so much for testing this version. I had made some changes and it was working for my immediate needs. But I did not really do much testing. You just saved me a bunch and some things I might have missed.

- When using "small" mode, the icon to expand/collapse the channel list is not displayed correctly. (non-issue if you are going to remove the channel list)

I had just added a quick button to hide the Channel List and didn't worry about it's function since I was going to remove the Channel List anyway.

- Unhandled exception occurs when clicking on the remote buttons if the IP of the Tivo is not reachable

I guess I always entered a good IP. I'll put some error checking in when adding additional remotes. Ultimately I would like to have it search for TiVos on the network and populate the IPs automatically. Initialy Though I will add an entry for 3 remotes to manually populate just because it's simpler. Is that enough for you?

- When using "small" mode in Windows 10 with default theme, the maximize/minimize/close buttons cover the entire title bar, so there is no grab handle available for moving the window around. Windows 7 doesn't have this problem because the buttons are more compact.

Gee. It worked fine with the Channel List. Since I hid it I have only used the large one. Oops.

- A user could get around the above issue by resizing the width of the window slightly, but that is not allowed. The window always snaps back to the default width.

I'll play with that a little. I might need more width to add in the Settings button. That may be enough. I don't think I can move the Icons.

- The window does allow vertical resizing, but does not provide a scrollbar when resized smaller than the image. It would be nice to provide a scroll bar, so user could make the window small and expose only the part of the image that they need, for example the middle section with the playback controls. If scrolling is hard to implement, then maybe you could provide a button that toggles between the full image and a smaller image containing only the playback controls. Not a huge deal. As it is, we can already resize to hide the part below the playback controls, so maybe that's good enough.

This also worked with the Channel List. I removed the list and made the window too narrow to display the scroll bar. It's there. You just can't see it. Spin your scroll wheel or whatever and it will probably scroll. I'll fix the width which should also take care of the standard windows buttons.

I'm back in town and will work on this but......You might know how it is when you go to someones house and you know PCs but they don't. My brother had issues loading the latest updates from Microsoft. Blue Screen Of Death. It seems a lot of people are having issues with different updates. I was up until 6:00 am working on his PC and then had to get up at 9:00 to get dressed for a funeral. Visitation, Service, Lunch, then drive for 6 hours to get home.