1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tivo proxy server

Discussion in 'Developers Corner' started by ejonesss, Nov 17, 2012.

1. ejonesss

ejonesss New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    i made some progress on the proxy server

it turns there are some command changes in python 3.x that Allanon's post will not run.

i made the changes after much google work

unfortunately it looks like a windows thing because of the references to curl.exe so me on a mac it will not work.

i had to change the 192.168 to a 10.0 number since apple's time capsule is a network router too

however it seems to run and respond since i am getting

/download/U.S.%20Drug%20Wars.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=25139&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg Drug Wars.TiVo?Container=/NowPlaying&id=25139&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg - - [17/Nov/2012 15:43:46] "GET /download/U.S.%20Drug%20Wars.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=25139&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
    Exception happened during processing of request from ('', 57436)
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/lib/python3.3/socketserver.py", line 306, in _handle_request_noblock
    self.process_request(request, client_address)
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/lib/python3.3/socketserver.py", line 332, in process_request
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/lib/python3.3/socketserver.py", line 345, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/lib/python3.3/socketserver.py", line 666, in __init__
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/lib/python3.3/http/server.py", line 400, in handle
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/lib/python3.3/http/server.py", line 388, in handle_one_request
    File "/Users/<your user name goes here>/Downloads/Tivo Proxy Server.py", line 102, in do_GET
    processID = findPID('curl.exe')
    File "/Users/<your user name goes here>/Downloads/Tivo Proxy Server.py", line 15, in findPID
    a = os.popen4('tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq '+exename+'"')
    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'popen4'

import cgi, os, socketserver, sys, time, subprocess, urllib.request
    from http.server import SimpleHTTPRequestHandler
    from io import StringIO

# Modify these variables so the values reflect
    # your computer's and TiVo's IP and MAK address
    Tivo_MAK = 'xxxxxxxxxx'
    Server_URL = ''
    Tivo_URL = ''
    Port = 10000

# Find the ProcessID of a running application
    def findPID(exename):
    a = os.popen4('tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq '+exename+'"')
    return info[1]

# Get XML Now Playing List from TiVo and write a simple RSS feed
    # This probably should have used XMLLib but I made a quick hack to
    # get the data from the Tivo XML file
    def writeRSS(wfile):
    global Server_URL
    global Tivo_MAK
    global Tivo_URL
    global Port

#Get the XML Now Playing list from TiVo
    link = 'curl --insecure --digest --user tivo:{0:s} "http://{1:s}/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes&AnchorOffset=0"'.format(Tivo_MAK,Tivo_URL)
    print( link)
    XML = subprocess.Popen(link,shell=True,stdout=subprocess.PIPE)

# Write the RSS feed
    wfile.write('<?xml version="1.0"?>\n')
    wfile.write('<rss version="2.0">\n')
    wfile.write('\t<title>Now Playing List</title>\n')

#parse data from TiVo XML
    data = XML.stdout.read()
    b = 0
    while True:
    a = data.find('<Item>',b)
    if a == -1:
    b = data.find('</Item>',a)
    b = b + 7
    item = data[a:b]
    if item.find('<Title>') != -1:
    wfile.write('\t\t<title>' + item[item.find('<Title>')+7:item.find('</Title>')] + '</title>\n')
    if item.find('<EpisodeTitle>') != -1:
    wfile.write('\t\t<episodetitle>' + item[item.find('<EpisodeTitle>')+14:item.find('</EpisodeTitle>')] + '</episodetitle>\n')
    if item.find('<Description>') != -1:
    wfile.write('\t\t<description>' + item[item.find('<Description>')+12:item.find('</Description>')] + '</description>\n')
    if item.find(Tivo_URL) != -1:
    wfile.write('\t\t<enclosure url="http://'+ Server_URL + ':' + str(Port) + item[item.find('/download/'):item.find('</Url>')]+ '"' + ' length="' + item[item.find('<SourceSize>')+12:item.find('</SourceSize>')] + '" type="video/mpeg" />\n')

class Handler(SimpleHTTPRequestHandler):

def do_GET(self):
    global Tivo_MAK
    global Tivo_URL
    global Port

print (self.path)

if self.path =='/rss':
    # Send RSS feed
    self.send_header("Content-type", "text/xml")
    print( 'RSS Feed Send\n')
    # Check if the self.path is a TiVo URL
    if self.path.find('/download/') != -1:

# Create TiVo URL
    link = 'http://' + Tivo_URL + self.path
    link = link.replace(';amp','')
    print( link)

# Send header
    self.send_header("Content-type", "video/mpeg")

# Get and decode the Tivo file
    decode = subprocess.Popen('curl.exe --digest -k -c cookies.txt -u tivo:{0:s} "{1:s}" | tivodecode -m {0:s} -- -'.format(Tivo_MAK,link),shell=True,bufsize=0,stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    processID = findPID('curl.exe')

# Send decoded data to the client
    while True:
    chunk = decode.stdout.read(4096)
    if not chunk:
    os.popen('TASKKILL /PID '+ processID +' /F')

# Start Proxy Server
    httpd = socketserver.TCPServer(("", Port), Handler)
    print( "serving at port", Port)

maybe someone on a mac can get it to work

1. you need to change tivo url to what ever your tivo uses it will be based on your router most routers use 192.168 based numbers

2. the mak is a 10 digit number used for accessing the media

3. it seems to work by using for the server address
  2. Allanon

Allanon Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The program was tested using Python 2.5 and Windows XP. When writing it I didn't care if it was cross platform, I am only using it on a Windows computer.

The os.popen4() command in the findPID() function executes the Window's tasklist command which allows the program to get the process ID of a running program. I tried using the standard ways of get a process ID in python but that didn't work so I resorted to this method. On the mac you can probably replace the findPID() function with a standard python function that gets the process ID of a running program. This is needed so curl.exe can be terminated if the user wants to stop or switch videos.

Curl.exe is a Windows program that downloads from the internet. I think mac has a built in curl command. You will also need tivodecode which is a open source program that converts tivo files in to mpg files.
  3. vanclute

vanclute New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    ejonesss, did you ever get this working on your Mac? I'm also trying to run it on my Mac media server but so far have struck out as I indicated in the original thread about the script. Would love to know if you made further progress!
  4. prin1113ci

prin1113ci New Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Use the streaming proxy server to significantly improve on the inadequate support TiVo provides for online streaming stations.