1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Premiere XL4 + Tivo HD in one network, how well does it work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by alexksj, Nov 8, 2012.

1. alexksj

alexksj New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Hi,

I currently have a lifetime subscription Tivo HD and was going to exchange it against a Premiere XL4 and Tivo Minis after the Minis are released & reviewed. But now that those are delayed until sometime next year and a new TV is hanging idle on my bedroom wall, I have to make a decision.

Would combining a Premiere XL4 with my existing Tivo HD work well? I would record most on the livingroom XL4 and pass it on to the bedroom HD if needed there. I would still hope for the minis to show up one day and be good.

Any non-Tivo alternative?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    That would work just fine.

You may be limited in transferring depending upon your cable company, and the premiere features remain only on the premiere (streaming, remote deleting, ect).

3. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, to clarify that -- you will be able to TRANSFER programs in either direction (if they are not copy protected), but can't do any of the streaming BETWEEN boxes.

4. alexksj

alexksj New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks jrtroo and mattack!

I am using Comcast as cable company, and I record via CableCard in the Tivo. What restrictions does Comcast place on transferring recorded shows in between Tivos?

Thanks,
    Alex

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    With Comcast it changes area to area so you need to post where you are.

6. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    By purchasing a 4 tuner Tivo, you are at least future-proofing yourself for when the mini is actually released. You can then sell the HD and get a mini at that time.

7. alexksj

alexksj New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I'm in San Jose, CA.

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Most likely only premium channels such as HBO.