1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Premiere XL4 an QNAP

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DydekD, Aug 16, 2012.

1. DydekD

DydekD New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I am planning few months down the road, to make a jump from Series 3 to Premiere XL4 with TiVo Stream and IP extenders (once the latter are released). But I like my self-made eSATA storage expander (Vantec). However, I can't find anyone who would state if any other drives, outside of the WD AVR 1TB, are even recognizable.

Taking things a step further, is there any way to hook up iSCSI?

:confused:

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Answer is NO. But with 2TB do you really need a DVR Expander?

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I know I could always use more storage for my Elites. But I would not want to use an external drive.

4. danjw1

danjw1 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    QNAP would not work as a TIVO Expander drive. You can though, setup KMTTG on the QNAP, I believe. That can be setup to auto transfer files from the Tivo, and transcode them to X264. Shrinking them, for using less storage. It would require you to transfer the recordings back to the Tivo for viewing. With an XL4 and gigabit ethernet that should go faster then with a Series 3. If you have them transcoded, they will need to be transcoded back to MPEG2 for the Tivo, so that would take time. At least that is how it works with my HD, not sure if the Premiers can play MPEG4 nativelly.