1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Premiere to access internet

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Wingershute, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Wingershute

Wingershute New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    How about using Tivo Premiere for access to the internet? I'd like to be able to go on this website and others to post messages whenever I please. Is this possible? If not, can you explain why?

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    No you can't. Tivo hasn't even got the basics worked out in the Premiere yet. Remember the walled internet Garden that used to be AOL? Tivo is making the same mistake.

3. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    TiVo is a DVR. It has limited functionalities beyond that and some of it is buggy. The TiVo has VERY limited memory and a non-traditional CPU architecture. Putting a web browser on that platform would be non-trivial. It won't happen until after Google buys TiVo and merges GoogleTV and the TiVo DVR's functionalities.

4. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    WebTV.

If Microsoft failed at it, why would you repeat their mistake?

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think the Premiere could handle light internet browsing...

...if you want to revert to using dial up speeds. :p:D;)

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Really, I think the biggest difficulty would be in adapting web browsers that are oriented to PC-style navigation to what's available on the TiVo, namely cursor keys (and now, QWERTY, but only if you have the right remote). There are already a few browsers that work that way, but you wouldn't like them.

The TiVo is underpowered, sure, but so are lots of devices that have browsers now.

7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The internet is VERY different than it was in WebTV days.

8. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    But it still looks like crap on a TV. That hasn't changed one bit.

Which is why Apple doesn't have a browser on their device either.

9. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Hairy Little Mutant

Jan 9, 2005
    Evansville, IN
    No it doesn't look crappy on modern HDTVs. It looked crappy before because SD sets ran what?- 320x240...maybe 640x480 for high-end ones?

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    From wikipedia, with a citation:
    WebTV achieved profitability by Spring 1998, and grossed over US$1.3 billion in revenue through its first 8 years of operation. In 2005 WebTV was still grossing US$150 million per year in revenue with 65% gross margin.

So saying they failed is a bit wrong, IMHO.

(Though I do remember that a friend of mine brought a webTV to another friend's house and we all played with it for HOURS one night, even though we all had much better internet connections at work. It was fun to play with.. I certainly wasn't a user..)

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Until recently websites looked like crap on phones too. Now most websites have mobile versions that are optimized for phone viewing. The same will happen with internet on TV.

12. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Hairy Little Mutant

Jan 9, 2005
    Evansville, IN
    Except they don't need special versions for 1920x1080...there are still MANY MANY laptops being sold that run a LOT less rez than that.

Granted one does sit further away from the TV...but the font size adjust would fix that. Not ideal but good enough in a pinch for a quick IMDB look up or whatever.

13. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine

The Premiere needs Google TV :up: IA, it would be useful to access the web from TV.

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    if there is no mouse then I have no interest in a browser on my TV.

A facebook client that is all about reading your wall and maybe replying via QWERTY keyboard would be a cool feature but not exactly a key selling point for a DVR.

15. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I see no reason why it's not doable. However, Tivo doesn't produce browsers. This is one place where google has a head start since they already produce chrome (I think we can see some google long-term strategy in play here).

The best we'd end up with is something crappy like the sony browser on the playstation. As others have pointed out, cursor navigation is not pleasant on a browser, so add a bluetooth mouse.

I tried a google TV with chrome browser at best buy last week, the appearance was acceptable. It wasn't like the old days when TV-based browsers showed simplified views of web pages. It was a full-functional browser that works fine on a high-definition flat screen.

16. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Well, the fact that they shut it down to new subscribers is why it is a failure. You don't do that to a successful, growing business.

The high margins just means low overhead since it's basically just the cost of keeping the servers humming for those still willing to pay.