1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Premiere Sluggish? Check your DNS.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sbiller, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 #1 of 34
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Another TiVo user prompted me privately to check my DNS which was configured to my default ISP (Bright House Networks). Using GRC's fanatastic DNS Benchmark Freeware tool, I discovered that my default DNS was unreliable. I reconfigured my DIR-655 router to use Sunbelt Software's DNS and voila, my Premiere user interface (HDUI) speed had a tremendous improvement. My waits for filling in program information when navigating My Shows improved significantly.

GRC's Freeware DNS Benchmark download page --> http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Below is a snapshot of my DNS Benchmark results. I encourage you'll to give it a shot. You'll see that Sunbelt Software was one of only a few DNS' providers that had all green results running the Benchmark.

[​IMG]

2. May 1, 2012 #2 of 34
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes changing the DNS address can make a big difference with the streaming services.
    Although for most people it's probably easiest just to use the DNS Ips from either Open DNS or Google. i used to test mine every few weeks and change them to the fastest ones. but now I just use the Google DNS Ip addresses. i can't use OpenDNS because it blocks me from accessing one of my domains for some reason.

3. May 1, 2012 #3 of 34
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Using a third party DNS can actually slow your streaming services.

http://apcmag.com/why-using-google-dns-opendns-is-a-bad-idea.htm

4. May 1, 2012 #4 of 34
    GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
  5. May 1, 2012 #5 of 34
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Or live on the east coast and use a west coast DNS.

6. May 1, 2012 #6 of 34
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    OpenDNS and Google's DNS have gotten quite good at geolocation over the last few years. So it shouldn't be much of an issue anymore using those services.

7. May 1, 2012 #7 of 34
    gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Very true. For example, I used to have major problems with YouTube when using OpenDNS. This hasn't been a problem at all for me in quite a while.

8. May 3, 2012 #8 of 34
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I'm on Day 3 of using my new DNS configuration. I'm still shocked at how much faster my TiVo Premiere and Premiere Elite/XL4 are in populating show data. Its radically different. One of these days I'll create a video to demonstrate the improvement.

9. May 3, 2012 #9 of 34
    Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Member

Mar 2, 2009
    hmm, I had to do that for my PC because of the slow ATT default to google, good point about changing it for TiVo too.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You should just need to change it on the router.

11. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    what sort of speeds are people getting for "good" servers?

basically my ISP's (comcast) servers look "OK" to meusing the gibson tool, but seems level 3's are a little bit better.

Poling around on the net there's all these other snippets that it's best to just use your ISP. So I figure if comcast is "good enough" I might as well just use it.

Also in another thread someone mentioned that their router is caching so it's best to use your router in that case rather than pass the DNS server addresses along. How do I tell if my router is caching? (I think it's not since it's slower then the DNS server its supposed to be using according to the gibson tool)

also- when there's 2 dns servers- is the second only a fallback if the first falls?

12. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    If the DNS requests when using your router come back in no more than a few milliseconds, then it's caching. For me, the test came back and said my current DNS server, which is my router, was much faster at responding to requests than any other server. Since the test gives more weight to caching results, my router was listed as the best DNS server.

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I don't think my router does any DNS caching of its own (DLINK DIR-825 with stock firmware) - I have it setup as a relay such that it acts as DNS server on my LAN but just relays requests to the configured DNS IPs.
    I doubt TiVo units do any DNS caching on their own so all requests are forwarded to DNS servers. Router DNS caching certainly sounds like it would help given the large number of DNS requests the HDUI makes.

14. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
  15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I guess as an alternative to custom firmware one could setup your own DNS server on the LAN assuming you are OK with running a server 24/7. I tried my best to stick to HDUI for several weeks after DNS optimization but eventually went back to SDUI again as it's still so much faster and has less bugs/annoyances, so now I don't really care about DNS much optimization as SDUI doesn't need it.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    too much effort- lol.

But seriously I would but currently im using a actiontec moca router and the open source things dont work with the moca which is the reason I'm using the router in the first place.

17. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    can a 'human' set up a dns server themselves?

18. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    If a 'human' can figure out how to run a Linux box, then yes. ;)

19. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    sorry no luck there.

lol.

I do have a windows home server though...

I think my best bet is just to try and figure out how to have my router pass along the address of a good DNS server instead of just telling everything to use 192.16.1.1

20. Drewster

Drewster Shooting blanks

Oct 26, 2000
    Costa Mesa, CA
    My NetGear router's "Basic Settings" has an option to use the ISP's DNS servers, or specific ones. It still passes itself to DHCP clients, but uses the specified servers for resolution.

I changed it from Google DNS to Time Warner's a while back, with impressive improvement. (Turns out that Google DNS performs very poorly in my area.) Then I ran DNSBench and switched again to OpenDNS.

I need to run additional tests to see if the in-home systems see a significant difference between resolving to the router's DNS or directly to OpenDNS.