1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Premiere Skips to End While Fast Forwarding

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by waydennis2, Dec 24, 2012.

1. waydennis2

waydennis2 New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    A couple of weeks ago my Tivo Premiere started jumping to the end of the show while fast forwarding. Anyone else have this happen?

My wife is at the control and swears she is not hitting any other buttons. Does not happen constantly, but a few times a week it does resulting in my wife having a bout of Tivo tourettes.

2. expmag

expmag RehobothJeff

Dec 12, 2004
    Rehoboth...
    It seems that now holding the skip button down too long jumps to the end of the show. This seems to have started with the latest update. If it happened prior it was not as sensitive.

3. waydennis2

waydennis2 New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I have duplicated using the skip button to jump to the end on my other Tivo.

However, my wife is just using the Fast Forward. Any ideas on that?

4. Scott3232

Scott3232 FIGHT ON!

Dec 3, 2003
    It appears that with the new update it has a strange skip tendency when you fast forward... When you slow it down and press play it will sometimes skip 5-7 minutes into the future from the point you want to stop. This is especially irritating when watching a sporting event.

Anyone from Tivo on here have any insight if there will be a fix to this sometime soon?

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    That's a documented feature. It's described under settings --> remote & device settings --> remote control setup --> part 4 advance and replay buttons. You have two choices -- advance scans forward 30 seconds or advance skips to tick. If you choose the second, pressing and holding it will not send you to the end of a recording. But you also lose the 30 second skip with that second choice.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are in FF or REW and then skip is pressed, it will jump to the next tick or end of the program timeline.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Perhaps the issue has to do with holding the button down?

When you do that, the command is constantly repeated, which could result in undesirable consequences.

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Read my previous post carefully; it's a DOCUMENTED FEATURE. Go to the remote settings. It's fully explained right there...it talks about pressing and holding the button and what that does.

9. Scott3232

Scott3232 FIGHT ON!

Dec 3, 2003
    I don't think that the issue they're describing... I have an issue where I'm on 3 arrow fast forward, reduce to 2 so I don't miss the point where I want to start playing again, and when I hit play it jumps 5-7 mins ahead... You can see it jump when you fast forward.. Haven't any of you noticed that?

10. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Nope, have not seen this.

11. renee312

renee312 New Member

Nov 16, 2006

Yes, this has been happening to us a lot since the latest update.
    Usually Tivo is VERY accurate when you are searching... now it's jumping all around.

12. danineg

danineg New Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Not only does this happen randomly to us, we have had a show stop in the middle and go to the tivo screen when no one is near the remote. Going back into show we had to fast forward to point we were at and it played to the end.

13. newsome

newsome New Member

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't think what the OP is referring to is a "feature". I'll press fast forward to skip through the commercials, and sometimes randomly it will just jump to the end of the show. I'm not holding the button down, I'm not pressing anything but the fast-forward button twice. I'm sitting there watching the commercials scroll by, and suddenly the picture freezes for a half second, then I'm at the end of the show. I've had various TiVos over the last 8 years or so, this is not a feature.

14. MathiasRex

MathiasRex New Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I've been skipping forward with the 30 sec features and seen it skip to the next "tic". Don't think this is the "feature", not holding the button down. Doesn't happen too often, willing to overlook since I love the service in general.

15. evanborkow

evanborkow Member

Mar 17, 2008
    If you are in any of the fast fwd modes and you hit the 30 skip button, it will skip to tick (on a Tivo HD).

16. nailerpa

nailerpa New Member

Jan 28, 2013
    I have the same issue...and it started with the latest TiVo update. I've also had TiVo's for several years and have never experienced this before. Very annoying! :mad:

17. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    It actually got WORSE in the last update. It started doing it for me sometime in the early v20 changes a while back.

18. MassRocket

MassRocket New Member

Apr 20, 2002
    I have this problem and it is a DISASTER when you are watching a game. You go along, skipping forward here and there and then, all of a sudden, it skips all the way to the end, showing you the final score. Grrrrrr!!!

If this is a new "Feature", then whoever the idiot is that designed it--with no way to disable it--should be embarrassed!

BTW, I have been a loyal Tivo owner for 12 years (beginning with the SAT-T60, on through every Series, up to the current dual-rig setup of a Tivo Premiere XL4 and a Tivo XL).

19. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    I've noticed this too. I'm fast forwarding through a show and it skips to the end. No I'm not holding the button down or hitting the skip button. It only happens on certain recordings. I don't think it is any kind of new feature. I think that I've noticed it happening on shows where there may have been recording problems - pixellation or drop outs. Next time I notice it, I'll save the show and see how reproducible it is on that show. I haven't really try to pin it down because it happens rarely.

This brings up something I've thought that Tivo should do. I guess it belongs in the suggestions avenue forum, but I think it would help debug problems like this. Tuner error statistics are kept and can be seen on a per tuner basis. Tivo should record the tuner errors on a per recording basis. Just read the error counters at the beginning of a recording and then at the end and record the difference in the recording info screen. Then you could look at the detailed info for a recording and see if there were tuner errors during the recording. Even better, if the uncorrected errors are above a threshold, the Tivo could try to get another showing of the show if it is available (for season passes).

20. MassRocket

MassRocket New Member

Apr 20, 2002
    Just had it happen again. Watching the Celtics game last night, close game--could be a buzzer beater at the end of the fourth period. Game delayed for officials' review of play. Skip forward a couple of times. Boom--straight to the end of program showing the final score! Arrrrrrgh. Two bad I missed the Overtime, Double Overtime and Triple Overtime that led to that final score...! Sigh. I used to love this machine; now I cannot count on it to watch any game without ruining the experience. Why on earth would they change the software to cause this?