1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Premiere menus- why can't they all look good?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by noone3000, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1 of 22
    noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I have noticed that when you drill into a menu, such as to the Season Pass sub-menu, the text and lettering gets real large. They look like SD menus up converted to HD. Why can't they make it all look congruent?

2. Aug 3, 2012 #2 of 22
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Tivo is still in the process of converting them.. Many threads here on that. I believe almost all of them will be done in the Fall Update

3. Aug 3, 2012 #3 of 22
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I'd be happy if they weren't still laggy and buggy on my Elite after the fall update. Losing pause/resume points and locking up in SD sub-menus led to a quick switch back to SDUI for me. That sucked, because I really like the new guide in HD.

My guess is that the HDUI will never be fast enough, however, even if they fix the bugs and update all the menus. Using Flash on the existing hardware was the wrong choice, or the programmers don't know how to tune code to make it run better.

4. Aug 3, 2012 #4 of 22
    noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Fall Update, eh?

I'll have to look into that.

5. Aug 3, 2012 #5 of 22
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Sorry you are having those issues but i have been running the HDUI since September and have had no issues on my 2 premieres

6. Aug 3, 2012 #6 of 22
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The To Do list, Season Pass Manager, and the (multi-room) My Shows screens will be updated next.

7. Aug 3, 2012 #7 of 22
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I really can't believe it's taken them so long. The Premiere was released over 2 years ago. I understood why they had to release it half finished, (they had a deadline) but why has it taken them 2+ years to update the other screens. Heck until the update that just hit in Jan/Feb of this year nothing had really changed at all since the initial release. I'm glad to see that they seem to be back on track, but I still wonder why it took so long.

Dan

8. Aug 3, 2012 #8 of 22
    vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Been running them on 3 premieres also and they are quite slow compared to the SD menus or HD menus of other providers like directv.

9. Aug 3, 2012 #9 of 22
    vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I think you are correct. The processor is a dog that will never be speedy in HD menus.

10. Davedude

Davedude New Member

May 25, 2012
    Fremont, Ca
    I am sorry but I have to disagree about Directv. I just left them after 10 years because their DVRs would not respond for up to 20 seconds after a remote key press. I had 3 HR21s and they were so frustrating, their firmware was so buggy. I now have 3 premieres and I love them! They are very fast for me in HD menus and full of great features. My whole family is glad we switched.

11. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I love Direct TV also but there new HD Interface is horribly slow. LOTS of complaints over at dbstalk.com on all HR models the HD interface is slower than the old

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    'Very fast' and 'HD menus' don't belong in the same sentence for any Premiere. But compared to the buggy D* DVRs, yeah I guess you could say that based on your experience.

13. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It's unfortunate, because the January update actually brought a fair bit of additional performance to the Premiere (it wasn't great but it was enough to convince me to switch to the HDUI). But then they basically took 50% of the gains back with the May update for some reason. Ugh. The Elite in particular is a bit of a slog.

14. Adaptel

Adaptel New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. It really seems like every once & a while Tivo decides its product is embarrasingly lacking in many areas, hires some temp programmers, adds a few new features.....but never finishes anything and leaves all functionality half-done. I just realized that i have personally paid tivo $2500.00 in monthly fees over the years and spent another $2000.00 in purchasing their hardware. I have to ask myself...is it worth it? Will there ever be a point where I can say WOW, this is a great product? They seem to have good intentions, but can never pull it all together in the execution (like the new XFinity OnDemand feature). I was excited about this, but there are sooooooooo many bugs and quirks with it...don't get me started! I will go on the record ot say that 2 years from now, the OnDemand "Search" feature still won't work.

15. noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I'd say it's in this state because TiVo has no competition pushing them to improve and compete.

16. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I dont think that is true. Direct TV has updated there GUI, So has Verizon and Comcast and cablevision are next

17. noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
  18. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Read the software versions.

Tivo has been updating ahead of RCN updates. It appears RCN units are basically getting the new guide interface that everyone with a purchased Tivo has had for months.

The "fall update" is different, it is Tivo updating software for owned units. I assume RCN will get that eventually.

19. SWFan

SWFan Active Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Kansas...
    I guess if you don't include all the DVR's the cable companies have as competition then you'd be correct.

However I do include those all as competition. Tivo needs a product that blows those out of the water, otherwise if its just a little better customers will just opt for the crap-box the cable provider provides for $10/mo or free.

20. noone3000

noone3000 New Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Good point I hadn't earlier considered.

Still, Comcast in my area charges 16.95 per HD DVR rental. If I could rent one for $10/month, I probably would.