1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Premiere lost TSN after hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bigk96, Jun 11, 2012.

1. bigk96

bigk96 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    I have a TiVo premiere I've owned for about a year and half then the hard drive died. TiVo was stuck at powering up and I confirm the drive was dead with the WD diag util. I bought a new WD 2TB DVR drive from Amazon to replace the dead drive. I download the current MFS software but I noticed there is no software image for the premieres, I own another premiere and I copied that hard drive to the new 2TB drive, expanded it and I put the new drive in the TiVo that had the bad hard drive.

I boot TiVo now with a 2TB drive up and first I get a M51 error. The error suggests I reboot to fix the problem which I did and it reboots fine, video works I can see old shows that have been recorded but when I go in the system info screen the TSN shows up as all 0's and it will no longer record shows. The software version is the latest version 20.

I assuming I can't just copy the hard drive from another TiVo like you could with older hardware. I've do a lot of searches and I find plenty of docs on upgrading to a new hard drive using an already working original drive. Anyone have any suggestions? Is my other option to buy a drive that already has a software image on it?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Assuming the first 3 Digits of the two DVR's TSN's are/were the same. You need to run Clear And Delete Everything to match the drive to the new TiVo.

3. bigk96

bigk96 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Guess I was hoping to avoid that process because I'm lazy LOL.

The first 3 digits of the TSN are the same on both TiVos.

I'll get that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
  5. bigk96

bigk96 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    I did a clear and delete and that fixed my problem. Thanks everyone for your help.