1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Premiere Holiday Offer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by NJ_HB, Nov 26, 2013.

1. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/holiday2013

Did you 'guys' see this already?
    Prices start at $49 for a new Premiere w/75 hours and the refurb 300 hour Premiere is $149.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    They sent me an email for similar offers for Premieres with lifetime service but all the links were bad but the prices were the same. There is a case for someone wanting/needing a Premiere dual tuner if they need a DVR that works with analog cable or one that can do OTA & cable at the same time, but I am not sure I could find any reason for a new Premiere 4 at this point ($125) heck there offer is only $25 less than a Roamio can be purchase at Amazon.

3. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    ...but 75 hours just would not be enough for me, so one could make a good case for the 300 hour unit @ $199(new) or $149(refurb). I realize, apples to oranges.

4. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Yes I agree the storage is limited in the base Roamio but upgrading hard drives in a Roamio is simple and 2TB drives are well under $100 & 3TB are in the $110-130 range, so in the end I still don't think there is enough savings to justify going with the old tech.

5. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    if they want to move the old tech then they should have a real sale and discount the service.

6. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    My TivoHD is 5 years old now. Appreciate any thoughts on updgrading to the 75 hour Premeire or Romio - both will be OTA only. There are a few iPads in the house - comments welcome. $50 sounds like a great deal on the Premeire. Will I be able to get 1 year of service for $129, as I do with my TivoHD?

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    My local best buy has the XL4 on clearance for $100.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Sounds like you need to explore ways to get the $99 lifetime deal on that HD.

How soon is it time to renew the 1 year sub?

You might be able to tell them cheap lifetime or you retire it and they get $0.

And if you're buying a new TiVo you should definitely have the leverage to get the $99 deal and use that as the anchor unit for an MSD deal on the sub for the new one.

But as far as I know the 1 and 3 year in advance subs are a thing of the past, and you might get monthly, no commitment, or monthly with a 1 year commitment, depending on the deal they offer on the hardware price, although by now you should be able to see the wisdom in just getting lifetime from the start.

9. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    The $129 yearly Tivo service renewal on my TivoHD happened yesterday. I'm not interested in running two Tivo's in my house. Tell me more about this $99 Tivo lifetime deal. In the past, the cheapest Tivo lifetime service I ever saw was $299 a few years back, and I think it's more now.

10. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    If I were interested in a new TiVo now, comparing a $50 Premiere vs. effective $100 Roamio ($150 + $50 gift card from Best Buy for a 4-tuner Roamio), I'd definitely go the Roamio route.

I don't know how long that Best Buy deal will last (it includes a pricematch to Amazon), but if you're not aware of it, it's worth looking into. Check out the Roamio deals thread for info.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The deal for getting $99 lifetime put on older hardware commonly has applied to people who also buy a current Tivo at the same time, or who have already upgraded and called to cancel the old Tivo.
    Sounds like you would be eligible for this deal, if you were to go this route. You then turn around and sell the TivoHD for a slight profit that offsets some of the cost of upgrading. In the end, you are still only running one Tivo in the house (nudge).

OTOH, if you are happy with the performance of the Tivo HD (as I am), you might (and I stress might) be able to negotiate a deal to lifetime it for $199 if it has been in service for 3 years. If less, you might be offered $299.
    This option has typically been dependent on which TiVo CSR you get (and the mood they're in sometimes, it seems) so it might be worthwhile to play "CSR roulette". I would be surprised if you were able to get $99 lifetime, but it wouldn't hurt to ask for that as your opening bid in the negotiation.

My $0.02.

12. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Forget all the offers for new equipment, I'm thinking of digging out my old Series 2 Lifetime machines and putting up my Premieres for sale.

I am tired of the Premieres always being filled up because they don't have the option to record HD shows at lower definition levels.
    I only have SD TVs so no reason for HD. So I record 99% of everything at the lowest definition. ( or at least I would if the Premiere had that option )
    I can put huge amounts of TV shows on my Series 2 TiVos, but comparatively so much less on HD TiVos. And my Series 2 DVD recorders can save shows to DVD. I don't have my TiVos connected to the computer, and have no desire to do that. ( In fact, I can't connect my Premieres to the computer, as they are 'evaluation' type of lifetime, so if I try to put them on my account TiVo will shut them down. )
    Bah Humbug!

13. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Why are you recording HD channels if you don't have an HD TV? Every HD channel should have an equivalent SD channel, no?

14. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    On antenna TV?

15. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    It's been a while since I've used an antenna, but as far as I know the local stations in my area still simulcast SD signals. Not sure if that's the norm.

16. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    That 2-tuner Premier is a nice deal for anyone needing a supplemental unit for analog cable.

17. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You would need a separate Tivo Stream for the Roamio that works with OTA. (It is built into the higher Roamios that are cable only.)

I have a Tivo Stream and am likely going to get a Roamio soon (use up some Best Buy gift cards).. do you want to buy it?

18. mp11

mp11 New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I also still have a TivoHD. Starting to think about upgrading, but I don't want to lose my OTA subchannels. Is the Premier the only choice these days?

19. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you are asking what TiVos can do cable AND OTA at the same time, then yes you would need the dual tuner Premiere for that. Of course the other solution is to maintain your TiVoHD just for OTA and buy a Roamio for cable. If your TiVo HD doesn't have lifetime many people have gotten TiVo to sell them lifetime for their older TiVos for $99 when they upgrade to a Roamio.

20. dirk1843

dirk1843 I'm your huckleberry

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...
    Has anyone had luck with $99 lifetimes as of late??

Just bought a Premier and want to lifetime my old TiVo HD.