1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Premiere hard drive dead, no way to replace it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by fxer, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 #1 of 10
    fxer

fxer New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Since as of now I don't have a working TiVo hard drive, will I not be able to use one of my spare hard drives around here as a replacement?

2. Jan 6, 2013 #2 of 10
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. Jan 6, 2013 #3 of 10
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
  4. Jan 6, 2013 #4 of 10
    HockeyFan

HockeyFan Guest

Oct 9, 2010
    Maybe. Replace the controller card.
    You need star screwdriver set.
    Another hard drive same manufacturer ,
    model, and size.

Switch controller card then connect original and
    new drive to esata cable on desktop computer.
    Use JMFS to copy original drive to new drive.

5. Jan 6, 2013 #5 of 10
    fxer

fxer New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    What if I tried to repair mine by using a friends TiVo premiere, after using JMFS to create a new drive for myself based off his working TiVo, would both our TiVos then work? Would there be weirdness with the TSNs etc?

6. Jan 7, 2013 #6 of 10
    HockeyFan

HockeyFan Guest

Oct 9, 2010
    Not sure. May be worth try. Get a new
    2TB drive. Make sure you know source
    and destination ID's in JMFS so friends
    drive is not wiped out.

Better than dealing with controller card swap.

Third option is to buy one from weaknees.

7. Jan 7, 2013 #7 of 10
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That should work just fine, as long as the 2 TiVos are compatible. Just be careful when you do the copy so you don't write to the source drive. TSN is on the MB. It will take a while to come up once you put the new drive in your TiVo as the actual recordings are not compatible. You might have to do a Clear & Delete everything. You should redo guided setup and you will have to get the CableCARD paired again.

8. Jan 7, 2013 #8 of 10
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Does the Tivo have lifetime?

9. Jan 7, 2013 #9 of 10
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If your friends TiVo is the same model Premiere as yours and you properly image a drive from his original drive it will work in your TiVo.

Recommend you use the "comer" method very easy. You can find the links in my Thanks to comer thread:

You will need to go through a full setup with your TiVo, once it contacts the TiVos servers it will know what TiVo the drive is in and change the account data to yours.

Good Luck,

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    This will work if both of you have the same model Premiere (the first 3 numbers after TCD must match).

The target hard drive needs to be equal to or larger than the source hard drive. (LBA number must match or be larger on the target hard drive)

If your computer has a Gigabyte brand motherboard, you may need to take steps to prevent a Host Protected Area from being written to the Tivo hard drive.

Yes, at first. The Tivo will complain (throw an error) because the TSN on the hard drive does not match the TSN on the motherboard.

The hard drive can be 'paired' with the motherboard by performing a 'Clear & Delete Everything'.