1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Premiere + External MOCA adapter still not getting COX Plus Pack channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by AZrob, Dec 30, 2012.

1. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi all,

Is there anyone out there in the Phoenix or Orange County (CA) COX service area who is using an external MOCA adapter and is able to get the so-called Plus Pack channels? These are the HD channels that COX moved to the H.264 standard this year that can't be received by Tivo HD's, but supposedly can now be received by Premiere units.

Thanks to a software fix from Tivo this past spring, all Premieres that have internal MOCA adapters enabled can receive these channels. However, I have one of the first wave of (non-Elite) Premieres, a "Premiere XL" model, and it doesn't have an internal MOCA adapter. So I have been using an external (Netgear) MOCA adapter to enable ethernet networking. What I found however, is that despite my best efforts, as well as the efforts of some Tivo and COX personnel, my unit cannot receive the Plus Pack channels. Apparently the fix that allowed the Plus Pack signals to pass through the internal Tivo adapters does not work for an external one.

Unless I am doing something wrong....so I'd like to see if there is just one person out there in either the Phoenix or Orange County area who is:

1. Using a Premiere-level Tivo without an internal MOCA adapter
    2. Using an external MOCA ethernet adapter
    3. Using a COX Tuning Adapter (in order to get SDV channels)
    4. Able to receive the Plus Pack channels.

Other COX areas may also have been affected, but I am not sure of those.

The Plus Pack channels in Phoenix are:

HD service also required
    1101 - Hub HD (Bonus Pak also required)
    1133 - DIY HD - (Variety Pak also required)
    1134 - Cooking Channel HD (Variety Pak also required)
    1161 - Outdoor Channel HD (Sports and Info Pak also required)
    1900 - SWRV HD (Variety Pak also required)

Corresponding Premium subscriptions also required

1202 - HBO Signature HD
    1203 - HBO Family HD
    1204 - HBO Comedy HD
    1205 - HBO Zone HD
    1210 - HBO East HD
    1211 - HBO2 East HD
    1212 - HBO Latino

1222 - Action MAX HD
    1223 - Thriller MAX HD
    1225 - Cinamax East HD
    1226 - More Max East HD
    1230 - 5StarMAX HD

1242 - Showtime Showcase HD
    1243 - Showtime Extreme HD
    1251 - TMC Xtra HD

1263 - Starz East HD
    1264 - Starz Kids & Family HD
    1265 - Starz Cinema HD
    1266 - Starz Comedy HD

Thanks in advance,

Rob from AZ

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I'm using Elite internal MoCA currrently. I don't subscribe to premiums but they do tune fine for me (diagnostics give all tuning information and show H.264) and there are some none premium channels in Plus Pack such as 1078=Pac-12 HD which tune and decrypt fine for me as well, and don't have CCI byte set such that I can download recordings to my PC. My 2 tuner Premiere which is ethernet connected also tunes the same channels fine, and prior to using internal MoCA my Elite was using an external Motorola NIM100 MoCA adapter and tuned those channels fine then as well from what I recall.

I don't understand why MoCA would have anything to do with your problem, internal or external. MoCA operates on frequencies > 1GHz while the Plus Pack channels are 800MHz-1000MHz range, so unless it's a really badly designed MoCA adapter there should not be any interference.

3. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    All I can tell you is that when I disconnect the MOCA adapter and go straight into the Tivo, I get the PP channels just fine. Then when I reconnect the adapter, they go away. I've tried several MOCA adapters and the result is the same.

How is your 2-tuner Premiere connected to your Ethernet? Does it use a MOCA adapter?

Rob

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    How are you connecting the external MoCA adapter? Are you just splitting coax before input to TiVo and sending 1 split to TiVo and other to adapter? If you are using the adapter pass-thru I would recommend not doing so and instead doing the former.
    (My 2 tuner Premiere is currently directly connected to my router via ethernet).

5. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you saying hook it up the "old" way, with one coax going to the MOCA adapter, then out from the MOCA to the Tuning Adapter and then from the TA to Tivo input?

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Let's be clear here. What Moca adapter do you have? Does it have a coax in and a coax out? I'm a little unclear about your statement that you went straight to the TiVo. Did you leave out the tuning adapter on this trial (thus indicating that your problem may be the tuning adapter)?

Some people say to split the coax before the Moca adapter, but I have had no trouble using the Actiontec adapter as a splitter. You should try it both ways perhaps.

7. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    how does one figure out if their Premiere has the moca encoder!

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Easy. 4 tuner units have MoCA, 2 tuner units do not.

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    No, quite the opposite. I'm suggesting to try not going through either Tuning Adapter or MoCA adapter.

10. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Success! I wired it the "old" way..it didn't work..then I tried wiring it the "new" way AND I pushed the reset button in and out...and it worked. I have a hunch that it was actually the resetting of the MOCA adapter that did it, not the configuration. That was probably my problem all along....

Thanks all for your help and patience...and now we can say unequivocally that all Premieres should get the Plus Pack channels, whether there is an internal or an external adapter.

Rob