1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Premiere Elite becomes TiVo Premiere XL4 on Sunday

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by davezatz, Apr 20, 2012.

1. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
  2. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I hated that ugly brown box, but Premiere XL 4 sounds odd to me.

3. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don’t like the name change and think this was a bad idea, and confusing for the product. Is the model# staying the same? TCD758250

So was the price drop to $399.99 just to get rid of Elite stock and now the XL4 will be $499.99 again?

Any idea if a hardware modification was also made?

4. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Not sure on model number, but I’m not aware of any hardware or pricing changes.

5. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Oh no! I bought my Elite just a couple weeks ago. I wonder if there is anything other than just a badge change? If they upgraded the hardware I will be seriously tempted to use my one month returnable policy at bestbuy if there is!

6. danjw1

danjw1 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    It can connect to an antenna, rather then just cable.

7. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    PXL4 as a name makes more sense to me than Premiere Elite

8. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    No.

9. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I wonder if Pioneer objected to use of their Elite trademark.

10. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    As part of a whole home solution an XL4 and XL6 makes sense.

11. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Hint, hint... :rolleyes:

12. g_stewart

g_stewart New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    With this new consistent branding, the (slow) migration to all HD menus, the new Netflix app, multi-room streaming, the new IP transcoder coming later in the year....

TiVo are making a lot of impressive business moves right now. Great to see, now they need just one killer add-on, or app, and we'll start seeing some serious consumer traction/ pick-up!

Anyone else feel this way?

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's a smart move imho. Consistent branding is a good thing. It doesn't seem confusing as I doubt very few people even knew the Elite exists (it was barely found in Best Buy).

14. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I also don't like the new name. But then I couldn't have come up with anything better...

I hope it is a good change for TiVo. Wouldn't mind seeing a well-done TV commercial from them to get the word out about it.

15. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    For the long term, I guess a consistent naming scheme is always better. An XL, XL4 and XL6* would be cleaner, especially in a growing family of solutions.

An "XL4" doesn't have the same panache as an "Elite", but the Elite won't be, well, elite, forever.

All told, look at the brands they'd juggle... Premiere, Preview, Q, Elite, the transcoder, the IP box, etc... This can be simplified.

* I know nothing of an XL6, I just think it will happen sometime in the next year and a half.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But then it sounds like a Premiere XL, but it isn't like a Premiere XL since it can't do OTA.

And the box, well it's just a box. I don't care what's on the box. It's what is inside of it that matters. My TiVo boxes go into storage anyway so it's not like I'm going to be looking at the box every day.

Will ELite's become collectors items now? I hope I don't have any difficulty selling one of my Elites when the XL6 comes out later so I can upgrade.:D

17. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I don't think this is a good product name at all, as you point out, it sounds like the Premiere XL with 4 tuners which it isn't. A name that distinguishes it from the Premiere and Premiere XL would make more sense to me, don't use Premiere at all, but whatever market exists for the product can figure it all out easily enough so it isn't a big issue.

18. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I think the name might be a bit confusing because it's not really a Premiere with 4 tuners. Somehow in the product name they should have a C (for cable card only). They should also have it clearly marked on the top of the box that this box will only work with cable card.

I think the new name scheme makes more sense but they really have to make sure that these are clearly marked that they won't do OTA.

19. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Yes, a Premiere XL4 DC (for Digital Cable--yes, FiOS, as well). Or even DCF for Digital Cable FiOS. There really should be some indication in the model number or name that makes it clear this box is ONLY for DC or VF.

20. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    One hopes they don't go the way of Western Digital...

ALL of their 2009 or later media players are named the "WDTV Live."

Two of them have the same exact name; just a different "By-line"

WDTV Live / HD Media Player (cca 2009)
    WDTV Live / Streaming Media Player (2011)