1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Premiere 4 officially announced

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by drebbe, Aug 16, 2012.

1. drebbe

drebbe Carbon Blob

Apr 11, 2012
    TiVo Launches Four Tuner 'TiVo Premiere 4'

New Product Solves the Sunday Night TV Show Pile-Up and Allows Users
    to Record Four Shows at One Time

ALVISO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 08/16/12 -- TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO),
    the creator of and leader in advanced television services including
    digital video recorders (DVRs), today announced the launch of its
    TiVo(R) Premiere 4, a set-top box designed to solve program
    scheduling conflicts and allow families to record all of their
    favorite shows, while simultaneously serving as the hub to a TiVo
    whole home-setup. With four digital tuners to record four programs
    simultaneously, up to 75 hours of HD recording space and access to a
    massive library of web-delivered entertainment, the TiVo Premiere 4
    is the ideal DVR for any household of TV enthusiasts.

TiVo Premiere 4 Specifications

-- TiVo Series4(TM) architecture
    -- Intended for use with digital cable systems only and does not work
    with analog cable or over-the-air antennas
    -- Supports digital cable (QAM only), and Verizon FiOS(R)
    -- Outputs: HDMI, Component video, Composite video, Optical audio, Analog
    -- Video output modes include: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    -- Inputs: CableCARD(TM) support, Cable coax, Ethernet connection, two
    USB 2.0 ports, eSATA, MoCA
    -- Audio: Dolby 5.1
    -- Additional support for USB 2.0 (2 ports), eSATA for external recording
    space, TiVo Wireless N or G Network Adapter
    -- 500 GB of recording space for up to 75 hours of recorded HD
    -- Dimensions: 16.5" x 9.7" x 2.4"
    -- Weight: 6.64 pounds

Also looks like the Premiere XL may be discontinued. Check out http://www.tivo.com/p4
  2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Yes looks like the "current" Premiere lineup is now:
    1. Premiere $150: Dual OTA/Cable Analog/Digital Tuners 500GB hd standard remote
    2. Premiere 4 $250: quad digital cable tuner 500GB HD, standard remote
    3. Premiere 4XL $399: quad digital cable tuner 2TB HD, THX & Glo remote
  3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    They still don't qualify 1080P by putting 1080P24 down. When a device is listed as supporting 1080P, it typically means it supports 1080P60 output.
  4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    $250 is a pretty darn good price too.
  5. scottfll954

scottfll954 New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I am still under contract for a Premier ..

will tivo allow me to upgrade the equipment and ride out the year..

Or do I have to wait ...till contract is over and start fresh

If I want one..???

thanks for any input
  6. robm15

robm15 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    I see $250 is based on a subscription plan. but pricing with no monthly obligation is available by calling tivo. has anyone done that and to find out how much it would cost? i would like to just use a existing sub and transfer it to this new model.
  7. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    You are asking to move lifetime to a new P-4? Not gonna happen.
  8. FiveKayFt

FiveKayFt New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    I'm surprised, albeit not greatly, that there is no integrated OTA tuner. Anyone have a guess on whether there'll be a version of the P4 in the near future that includes that?
  9. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
  10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002

I don't see it either. The Premiere 4 is priced the same as the Premiere XL was.

I wonder if the Premiere 4 uses a little less power than the XL4?
  11. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
  12. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Do you think Comer's drive upgrade tool would work on the Premiere 4? With drive prices still around $120 it's not much of a savings over the XL4. But if drive prices fall back to where they were before the flooding, it could be a good opportunity to save $50-$70.
  13. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I think it's a mistake. They'll probably fix it soon.
  14. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    You can usually find the XL4 on sale for $350, so for the extra $100, I would get the XL4, You get the Glo Remote too which has a much better feel than the regular remote.
  15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    If I were to get a four tuner Premiere now, I would get the Premiere 4 and just upgrade the drive. With a 10% coupon at BestBuy that would bring the price down a little. I paid $450 for my launch Elite and $350 for my Elite just prior to the Xl4 launch.
  16. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    I don't see the WD20EURS coming back down to much below $100 anytime soon, so the XL4 makes the most sense IMO.

Besides, with the 4 Tuner Premieres, I would want the 3yr ext warranty which would be voided by upgrading the drive.
  17. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    TiVo can't legally void a warranty because you upgraded a drive. The only way they could do that is if the drive upgrade itself was the source of the failure.

18. gamo62

gamo62 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Nope. The days of a built-in OTA tuner are history.
  19. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    ummm.. Yes they can
  20. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Have you read the Ext Warranty Contract?
    Have you ever had any Ext Warranty Contract cancelled for no reason at all? I have.

8. LIMITATIONS OF COVERAGE This Contract Does Not Cover.
    A. Any equipment located outside the United States.
    B. Service or replacement required as a result of any alteration of the equipment, or
    repairs made by anyone other than a participating servicing dealer, an authorized
    service provider, its agents, distributors, contractors or licensees, or the use of supplies
    other than those recommended by the manufacturer.
    C. Damage or other equipment failure due to the failure to maintain the equipment
    according to the owner’s manual instructions (except accidental damage from handling
    claims), abuse, vandalism, theft, fire, flood, wind, freezing, power failure, inadequate
    power supply, unusual atmospheric conditions. acts of war, acts of God or other force
    majeure events.
    D. Service or replacement necessary because of improper storage, improper ventilation,
    reconfiguration of equipment, or the failure to place the equipment in an area that
    complies with the manufacturer’s published space or environmental requirements.
    E. Any utilization of equipment that is inconsistent with either the design of the
    equipment or the way the manufacturer intended the equipment to be used. Any and
    all cases in which the manufacturer of the equipment would not honor any warranty
    regarding the equipment.
    F. Equipment used commercially or in a commercial setting or equipment sold as a
    G. Cosmetic damage such as, but not limited to scratches, dents, rust, stains.
    H. Nonfunctional parts such as, but not limited to, plastics or finishes. Expendable or
    lost items, such as, but not limited to ear buds or head phones.
    I. Consumable items; consumable items are defined as any part that is considered
    consumable by the manufacturer and/or any item that is designed to be consumed
    (wear out) during the life of the Product, regardless if it is consumer replaceable or not.
    J. Pre-existing conditions (incurred prior to the effective date of coverage) known to
    K. In-warranty parts not provided or shipped by the manufacturer. Operational or
    mechanical failure covered by manufacturer’s recall, manufacturer’s warranty extension,
    or factory bulletins, (regardless of whether or not the manufacturer is doing business
    as an ongoing enterprise).
    L. Consequential damages as a result of malfunctioning of or damage to an operating
    part of the covered equipment, or damages as a result of any repairs or replacements
    under this agreement Damages caused by delays in rendering service or loss of use
    during the period that the Product is at the authorized service center or otherwise
    awaiting parts are not covered. You are responsible for creating back-ups of all Your data
    and software on a regular basis.
    M. Operational or mechanical failure which is not reported prior to expiration of this
    N. Equipment sold without a manufacturer’s warranty or sold “as is” is not covered.
    O. Loss or damage as a result of violation of existing federal, state and municipal codes
    including. but not limited to power surge and spike resulting from a violation of those
    P. Transit or delivery damage, damage caused by packing. unpacking, assembly,
    installation, or removal. Short circuit, loss of use, lack of maintenance, bodily injury,
    adjustments, periodic checkups or maintenance.
    Q. Any cost recoverable under an insurance policy issued to you (in such case, this
    Contract will cover any applicable deductible).
    R. Any software, including but not limited to, application programs, network programs,
    upgrades, formatting of any kind, databases, files, drivers, source code, object code or
    proprietary data, or any support, configuration, installation or reinstallation of any
    software or data where such software is not provided by TiVo.
    S. Equipment where the TiVo service number does not match the Product covered
    under this contract.
    T. Damage or failure caused by bodily fluids, including but not limited to urine and