1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO premier XL on MOCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by chrisrtz, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1 of 28
    chrisrtz

chrisrtz New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I currently have FIOS in my house, and i currently have two non 4 premier boxes. My first tivo box is in the living room but now were near my router. My second box is upstairs in my bedroom also no were near my router. I am currently running the wireless adapter that tivo has for purchases. I do have one fios cable box in my son's bedroom, and that also is now were near my router. I was wondering what i need to do to connect my tivo boxes via moca network in the house.

2. Sep 6, 2012 #2 of 28
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You need something like this...

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C1JC4O

...for each TiVo*. It's a bridge that seamlessly converts the Ethernet traffic into MOCA traffic.

Dan

* If you have two TiVos that can be connected to one another via Ethernet then you could connect them to a Ethernet switch and then connect the switch to just one of those adapters to get them to talk to the rest of your network via MOCA.

3. Sep 6, 2012 #3 of 28
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    And it connects it through the coax instead of wireless or ethernet.

4. swarto112

swarto112 New Member

Sep 9, 2012
    ya, the mca bridge is easiest

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Just bought a couple of those. Took about five minutes to unpackage and screw on the connections and it worked immediately.

Now I need to sell my Tivo wifi N adapter.

6. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/moca.html?WT.z_links=moca_vanity

MOCA is only built into the Premiere 4/XL/Elite? Not the 2?

7. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Correct Only the 4/XL4 and Elite

8. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Ok, so I have a P2 hardwired to my router/modem, with a P2 and P4 going wireless. So I only need two of these adapters?

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes. 1 will plug into your router, the other will be used with your P2 that is currently wireless and your P4 that is currently wireless you can switch it to MoCA networking.

10. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    That is correct. if you have Fios, you need one "actiontec" adapter for the P2.

11. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Actually. According to the TiVo web site. All the Premieres have MOCA. Not just the P4 and XL4. In that case, you already have everything you need (if you have Fios).

See link to specs.
    http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere/premiere-specs.html#tab

12. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    It says "Internet connection required to receive the TiVo Service Wireless, wired Ethernet, or Ethernet over coax (MoCA). " It says that wired, moca or wireless are needed, but moca nad wireless are not built in.

Under the inputs section for premiere it reads: "Inputs CableCARD™ support, cable coax, Ethernet connection, USB 2.0 ports (2), E-SATA, antenna coax"

while for Elite it reads:" CableCARD™ support, cable coax, Ethernet connection, USB 2.0 ports (2), E-SATA, MoCA"

13. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Gotcha. That's a bit deceiving, but good to know.

14. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Agreed, I saw their page on how to setup MOCA and it seemed like I was good to go until I noticed it was only built into the P4s.

Now about your other post...I do have verizon fios and an actiontec wired/wireless router. Are you saying I only need one adapter for the one wireless P2?

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The FiOS Actiontec router already has MoCA built in. For me, even when I was using MoCA I did not use the Actiontec routers. I used Dlink MoCA devices. Although I now have four FiOS Actiontec routers gathering dust.(I got my fourth one last month when I switched to the 150/65 tier) For the past 5+ years with FiOS I've used my own router instead of the FiOS routers.

But with the Actionect router, that serves as the main MoCA device that will supply the internet connection. Then any other MoCA devices, like the XL4 boxes, can communicate to the Actiontec router over MoCA.

16. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Great news! Thanks guys.

17. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Correct. The MOCA network is already built into the FIOS router. So, that XL4 should be able to tap into the MOCA network (w/out adapter). The P2 would need the extra adapter.

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I just bought one of those adapters myself. Hooked it up in place of my HomePlug network and immediately my TiVo to PC transfer speed more then doubled. The only problem I've had is that it takes a bit of doing to get the TiVo to see the adapter. Last night the Netflix app caused my Elite to completely lock up and I had to do a hard reboot. When it came back it didn't link up to the MOCA adapter automatically. I had to mess with it a bit to get them to connect again. The HomePlug adapter was a lot more seamless in that regard.

Dan

19. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Well that couldn't have been easier. P4 nice and clean with one less wire. Too bad the P2 doesn't have it built in

20. swarto112

swarto112 New Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Will the moca adapters work with older tivos? have a series 3 running on wifi g. not really an issue. im running on fios usig the actiontec and dlink n900. using a xl4 on moca..love it...so speedy.