1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Premier died before service contract ended

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CorinaB, Oct 9, 2012.

1. CorinaB

CorinaB New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    My tivo premiere died while I still had a few months left on my initial 2 year service contract. I called tivo to see if I could switch my service to a new box, but they told me they would replace the old one for $49. They offered me a refurb for that price, but I asked for a new one and they gave it to me for the same price! With the new box I am only obligated to finish out the last few months on my contract, and then I can pay month to month at the lower rate.

I just wanted to make sure other people in the same situation know about this, because I had planned to just buy a new tivo (with its obligatory one-year contract), and was worried I might even have to pay out the rest of my old contract in addition to the new one!

The only hitch with the exchange policy is that you need to send your old tivo back. You can do that first and then wait for it to process before they send your new box out, or you can pay a $99 deposit and they will ship your new one immediately and credit your money back when they receive your old box. Either way, they send you a prepaid shipping label.
  2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Did you purchase the first TiVo from TiVo itself, and if you did what did you pay? if $0 + 2 years monthly (at a higher rate) I thought you also got a 2 year full warranty on the system, than you should have paid nothing to TiVo for the exchange.
    If I am incorrect on the above please let me know.
  3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Here is what TiVo says about the hardware warranty.

If you are past the 1 year limited warranty, normally you are charged for parts and labor when doing an exchange with TiVo.
    But because the OP was under a 2 year commitment, they were only charged labor.
  4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    What labor? Shipping him a different unit?

It's not like his original is actually getting repaired and returned to him.
  5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    No, but the unit he returns still gets fixed and will become an exchange unit for someone else or be resold as a refurb.

I think the only reason TiVo doesn't return the same unit is because of turn around time.