1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Premier Clicking problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Gschnettler, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Gschnettler

Gschnettler New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I just installed a brand new TiVo Premier and it seems to work great except for one huge problem - it makes a loud annoying clicking sound whenever changing channels, rewinding, fast forwarding or bringing up the TiVo menu. I do not have cable and I use an antenna. Any ideas?

Note that the clicking is coming through the tv speakers. I can prevent the clicking by muting the tv, performing a command (such as switching channels) and then un-muting, but obviously this is a pain.

The TiVo is connected to my Sharp flat screen tv using HDMI. I have never heard my tv make this clicking sound before so I am sure that it's coming from the TiVo.

The clicking problem also occurs when using Hulu and Netflx on the TiVo or when watching recorded shows so I don't think the problem has anything to do with my use of an antenna.

Please help!

2. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I had a similar problem with a new TV. After searching around, I found that setting the audio to PCM fixed the problem. May be worth trying.

(HD Menus)
    TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Settings > Audio > Dolby Audio > PCM only (no Dolby)

3. Gschnettler

Gschnettler New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I tried turning Dolby off (PCM only) and it's still clicking. The click is sort of like the pop you hear with old record players except louder.

Any other ideas?

4. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    You might try hooking it up with the composite (low resolution) cables for video and audio temporarily to see if the problem is with the HDMI cable or interface. Another option would be to try another HDMI cable or connect it with component cables.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The problem is most likely the tv not working well with the digital audio stream from the tivo that switches streams each time you change channels or video sources. Some recievers have the same problem. Using analog audio cables is one way arround it but the only real fix is the replace the tv or perhaps a software update for the tv. The problem is with the tv not working gracefully with changing digital audio streams.

I ended up replacing an otherwise terriffic Onkyo Integra receiver over the same issue.

6. Gschnettler

Gschnettler New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I tried using an optical cable to my stereo and there was no clicking there. I also switch from HDMI to component cables and RCA cables for sound to the TV speakers and no clicking there either. It will be a pain to not use HDMI (since we use an HDMI switch for all of out inputs) but at least there are alternatives to the clicking sound.

I do however blame TiVo for this problem and not my TV. I had a Channel Master DVR before this and it woked perfectly. The TiVo is somehow sending bad information to the TV to cause it to make a clicking sound.

Thanks for everyone's help.

7. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Have you tried another HDMI cable?