1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo placement question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ahwman, Jan 26, 2013.

1. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I just took the plunge and purchased my first TiVo which is due to arrive soon. That said, I was considering placing it on top of my soundbar pedestal (SpeakerCraft CS3). My concern is if the vibrations from the soundbar could be harmful to the TiVo. I could also place the Tivo on a lower shelf, however it would then be out of line of site and may cause remote control/IR signal issues.

Any thoughts?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Where's the TV going to go?

3. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I should've mentioned that the TV is mounted on the wall above the pedestal soundbar.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    What's the soundbar sitting on? Is it an actual pedestal or some kind of shelf? Do you have any other A/V components or is the Tivo the only one?

6. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013

7. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    With the Tivo Slide Remote the TiVo can be completely out of sight.

8. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Wow, that's pretty neat - I had no idea TiVo's had built in Bluetooth. That said, sine I'm using a WIFI to IR emitter (ThinkFlood RedEye) to control all of my devices, I still need line of site...

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You could use an IR repeater. Stick the IR sensor in line of sight and put the TiVo wherever you want. I did that before I had a slide remote. (And the TiVo does not have bluetooth; it uses a USB dongle.)

10. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Tivos are very forgiving with remote pointing. The remote has a huge broadcast area. It works pointing over 45 deg from vertical and at the same time, 45 deg left or right, at least.

11. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    If necessary that's what I'll do but I think I'll be ok as the TiVo will be about six inches below my bed but in a straight line. Hopefully it will pick up IR from the remote as the WIFI to IR base station is in line of site...