1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo/Palladia HD/Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MichaelJHuman, Aug 23, 2009.

1. MichaelJHuman

MichaelJHuman New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Does anyone have a combination of -

* An HD Tivo
    * Comcast w/ cable card
    * Access to the Palladia HD channel

If so, do you have any problems? I am in Colorado Springs, and my A/V breaks up every minute or so.

It could be local interferance. Comcast says it's my Tivo box, of course. They found nothing after replacing cables and such, and say the signal is good on their end of things.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    I don't quite fit your profile -- I have Time Warner.

I don't watch Palladia much but the one time when I did watch it for an hour, it had more break ups than I've ever seen on any other channel, with the possible exception of Turner Classic Movies, which I do watch a lot. :mad:

3. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Don't watch it out all the time but when I have in the last few days, I have not seen one problem. I even recorded one of the shows and it played back fine.

4. MichaelJHuman

MichaelJHuman New Member

Aug 3, 2005
  5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I have Palladia HD on Comcast with cablecards. I watch it on occasion; maybe 2-3 times a month. I recorded something on it just last week, because I remember that d*mn butterfly logo bugging me, but I can't remember what it was. IAC, no probs. None. Ever.

Hmm, brain cells kickin' in... maybe Woodstock in HD, Editor's Cut?

6. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    I have this combination and watch Palladia occasionally. I haven't noticed any problems. The last thing I recorded (Jeff Beck) was fine. Comcast recently moved Palladia from ch 661 to 685 and I didn't notice any change in audio or video quality.

How is the signal strength on that channel?

7. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    You might want to check the quality of your wiring. I have found that when you have faulty wiring that some channels can still be great and some channels can demonstrate what you talk about.

One way to tell is if you have multiple Tivos and there are inconsistencies between them.

Do you have the ability to connect the Tivo up to a spot closer to the point of entry?

8. MichaelJHuman

MichaelJHuman New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    I have two Tivo units. They rewired the wall plate to the Tivo, and put a new splitter in the bedroom wallplate. At one point they hooked the bedroom to the Tivo with no splitter in the wall plate so that would be the cleanest possible connection.

Both Tivos have the exact same problem. One uses an MCard the other two cable cards. So it's odd, very odd.

It's almost like there's some transmitter nearbye which periodically transmits, and is picked up somewhere in the wiring - and no one else complains as no one else watches Palladia.

9. cuyahoga

cuyahoga New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Warwick...
    Ran into some of the same problems that you are describing last night. Macroblocking, audio drop out. I'm in the Philadelphia area.

10. rdclark

rdclark Member

May 2, 2004
    Just that channel, and your signal strenght and s/n ratio are all good? Very weird.

Yes, I have that combo of TiVoHD, Comcast, and Palladia in Delaware County PA, and watch it fairly frequently with no issues.

No idea why this would matter, but have you tried switching your THD between Dolby Digital and PCM audio output?

11. Susdawg

Susdawg Member

Jul 16, 2006
    I have the combo of Tivo HD, Comcast, Palladia and live in Colorado Springs.

I just checked and I am also having frequent picture and audio breakup. I'll try to place a call in today.

12. MichaelJHuman

MichaelJHuman New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    You should mention someone else had the same problem. My guess is that they wil blame Tivo though.

13. Susdawg

Susdawg Member

Jul 16, 2006
    I've got a tech coming tomorrow morning now. I told them I know someone else is having the same problem. I'll report back tomorrow.

14. Airhead315

Airhead315 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I have Comcast CableCards(Morgantown,WV) and my Palladia HD channel comes in great. When the tech finished installing the CableCards Palladia was the first channel he tuned too. He stated that due to the frequency Palladia uses it is the hardest channel to get to tune and "if Palladia tunes in you wont have a signal problem on any other channels". I would suggest that you have the tech check the signal strength first rather than mess with the Tivo/CableCards which are likely working just fine. Most cablecard issues result in not being able to tune a channel at all.

15. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    Yes.

No.

16. MichaelJHuman

MichaelJHuman New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    They checked signal strength etc.

17. MichaelJHuman

MichaelJHuman New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    I will tell you what is most odd about it. It's happening every 25 seconds. What would cause something that clearly periodic? A nearbye transmitter? A software glitch?

18. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Do you have anything else on your coax like cable modem, that could induce some noise back into the line?

19. MichaelJHuman

MichaelJHuman New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    I do use a cable modem. Comcast did not mention that it could create noise on the line, but that does not mean it's not possible. I will disconnect it and test PLDHD again.

Not sure why noise from a cable modem would repeat every 25 seconds though :)

20. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I am not suggesting it is but I am suggesting removing everything else from your coax line except the Tivo just to see if anything gets better.

Also check that cable coax line has a good ground. The cable company should have grounded it but the possibility of some ground loops can cause noise.

You can also check that your Tivo is on a filtered power strip just to make sure there is no noise.

Once you isolate all of this out then maybe you can start to blame the cable company. How are the quality of your coax cables sometimes bad connectors can cause problems as well. Do you have any cables you can swap with to check as well.