1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo & Pace Team Up on 6-tuner Gateway

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BigJimOutlaw, May 21, 2012.

1. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    http://www.multichannel.com/article..._Pace_TiVo_Tee_Up_Six_Tuner_Video_Gateway.php

Boston — TiVo and Pace are providing details of their first jointly developed product, the Pace XG1, a six-tuner hybrid QAM/IP video gateway featuring TiVo's user interface to be available to operators in the Americas later this year.

The companies announced their partnership in February 2012 to develop set-tops and gateways. TiVo and Pace expect to follow the XG1 with additional solutions for domestic and international operators.

The Pace XG1 includes six tuners, an integrated DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and at least 500 Gigabytes of on-board storage. It will use TiVo's whole-home capabilities, such as multiroom streaming and support for both traditional set-top boxes and the potential for IP client devices, as well as support for TiVo's mobile and tablet applications.

The gateway runs on Broadcom's BCM7425 dual high-definition, dual-transcoding hybrid gateway set-top box system-on-a-chip that offers 3000 DMIPS (Dhrystone million instructions per second) of processing power. The Pace XG1 will support Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) 2.0 and includes Broadcom's BCM3383 DOCSIS 3.0 8-by-4 chip for up to 320 Mbps down and 120 Mbps upstream.

"This partnership will make the TiVo experience easily accessible to more cable operators than ever before," David Sandford, vice president and general manager of TiVo's service provider business, said in a statement. "It will provide operators a best-in-class advanced television solution that they can quickly and cost-effectively deploy and will serve as the gateway to a rapidly expanding choice of content across multiple screens through TiVo's whole-home solutions."

Tim O'Loughlin, president of Pace Americas, added, "There is no denying that the current climate for operators is immensely competitive, and we have been hearing more and more frequently from this community that TiVo is a user experience that they want to offer."

U.S. operators currently deploying TiVo offerings to their customers include Charter Communications, DirecTV, Suddenlink Communications, RCN and Grande Communications, and European operators include the U.K.'s Virgin Media and Spain's ONO.

2. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    In a nutshell, this sounds like a Pace box driven by Tivo software, like the Virgin and DTV boxes.

This box has some power to it. More than twice that of the Premiere's chip. MoCA 2.0, DOCSIS 3.0...

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    6 tuners makes sense for a whole house cable solution as one cable card (and tuning adapter if required) can support the 6 tuners. Maybe not so good for stand alone users as this equipment will likely never be sold retail.

4. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    With the recent change if the elite to XL4 I think it bodes well that we may see an XL6 at retail. Maybe at the old elite price.

5. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Doubt it.

6. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Similar to Dave Zatz, I doubt this very much. Tuning adapters only support 4 tuners.

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Unfortunate since a 6 tuner TiVo is the only product that interests me from today's news.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It sounds like an expensive box if it ever went to retail. The monthly fees alone from a cable operator will probably be high. And of course since it's aimed at cable operators it has a paltry 500GB hard drive for six tuners which is an insanely low capacity for that many tuners.

9. stlbluesfan74

stlbluesfan74 Mike

May 2, 2012
    St. Louis
    Agreed, 500gb is pretty weak. No mention of an OTA tuner either.

10. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Why would there be? This is a cable co solution.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  12. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
  13. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Agreed. Now that Rutledge is in charge of Charter, he's pushing to eliminate the STB all together similar to these idiotic statements from TWC's CEO,

TiVo is long overdue to announce a new US MSO deal so I'm guessing there is one deal predicated on this new six-tuner box. We also know that CableOne hasn't announced their new STB plan now that they ditched Echostar.

I still don't think Cox is dead. They could be one of the MSOs as well.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    i was looking at the banner on my elite the other day and literally thought to myself that the font that shows what the 4 tuners are doing in perfectly sized/spaced to add another 2 at the bottom and fit the space perfectly. (probably all the speculation recently of xl2, xl4 would mean xl6 made my mind wander...) So i was guessing they planned at one point to go 6 tuners in the software but this is faster than i thought.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not true. Tuning adapters support up to 6 tuners. In fact Ceton is going to release a 6 tuner retail DVR later this year that will use one CableCARD and one tuning adapter for all 6 tuners. Nothing would prevent TiVo from doing the same except maybe costs. (people expect the Ceton DVR to cost somewhere close to $1K)

Dan

16. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Is this something that would work for AT&T Uverse?

17. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Interesting question. It might in theory. This box enables a lot of theoretical things, including elimination of a tuning adapter and more readily available access to cableco VOD.

But since it's technically a Pace box, geared towards MSO buyers, we might not be able to find out.

18. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  19. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Unless some open(ish) spec is produced, the ability for two way communication doesn't necessarily mean you can actually communicate on any given network... without that operator's assistance. It wouldn't be plug 'n play as things currently stand.

20. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Yes, hence theoretical. I strongly stress theoretical. :D