1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo owns 6.5% of streaming boxes market?!?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Aero 1, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    really? seems high. the article is not about tivo specifically so there are no facts about it, but there is this chart.

any of you guys that love stocks and report analysis that have an account with F&S can download the full report here: http://goo.gl/QZahf

now, lets speculate....
  2. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivo has had Netflix streaming since 2008 and it works on the series 3 and series 4 DVRs, and the original series 3 start selling in 2006. Tivo has been selling a streaming box for 7 years. I think they were one of the first set top boxes to offer Netflix.
  3. moyekj

moyekj Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    This disclaimer skews the data heavily away from the major streaming boxes which are none of the above:
    "Absent from this data are game consoles, which account for the lion share of online video streaming to the TV."
  4. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I read an article in USA Today about cutting the cord. The Tivo boxes were not mentioned for streaming services at all. That's a shame. I really love my TiVo box but I guess the TiVo name is still famous.

The only complaint I have with Tivo is the slow interface for Netflix and Hulu and the bugs with both.
  5. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Market share by hours streamed would be more interesting.

We stream a lot in our house, but only on the Tivo for comparison.
  6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Does it count as streaming boxes if I own three TiVos with Netflix on them, but I never EVER use Netflix because it will crash the box and stop my active recordings? We ALWAYS switch to the Blu-Ray Player or PS3 to watch Netflix because the TiVo one is completely worthless.
  7. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I figured something was wrong with this chart.
  8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Which I guess means Other is mostly blu-ray players and TV w/ netflix streaming.

I'm guessing it also ignore computer streaming (Hulu) and tablet / phone streaming since those don't connect to a TV. (Plus of course they'd swamp the chart from shear numbers since most PCs can stream as can most smartphones; even if like a game console that's probably not why they were purchased)
  9. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Exactly. I'm sure there's a ton of TiVos out there that aren't streaming at all. I don't stream on mine. It's a horrible streaming device, and I have a Roku or an Apple TV for that...
  10. nrnoble

nrnoble New Member

Aug 25, 2004
    I guess what is disappointing is that Tivo was, AFAIK, the first box to stream Netflix, followed by Roku, yet TiVo never took full advantage of their installed user base to build upon (and promote) the concept of Apps much like Apple has done, and to a lesser degree Roku.

As a result, I have bought a Roku box and a Google TV box. IMHO, Tivo could could be like Apple in terms of leading the industry with their set top boxes technology, where everybody else followed the lead of Tivo.
  11. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Roku pipped Tivo to the post in having Netflix streaming, but only by a seven months.

I've not used Netflix on the S3, but I can only imagine it to be worse that on the Premiere. I'm happy I have a Roku for streaming, and a Tivo for recording. Sometimes putting everything in the one box works, sometime not.
  12. pdhenry

pdhenry Actual TiVo Owner

Feb 27, 2005
    Must suck to be you. I don't have any such issues.