1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo on the iPad: How to Transfer Recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1 of 10
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    http://blogs.cio.com/tablet-pcs/16974/tivo-ipad-how-transfer-recordings

Are TiVo togo files really limited to 640 x 480? Is there an alternative to get higher resolution for the new iPad?

2. Apr 9, 2012 #2 of 10
    DeWitt

DeWitt New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Summit, NJ
    Check out the TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo forum for this info.

I personally use KMTTG coupled with Video Redo with good results. Admittedly not the new iPad, but fabulous results at full supported resolution.

3. Apr 9, 2012 #3 of 10
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    TiVo Desktop will only convert to 640x480 (or less). I'm not sure if this was done to prevent piracy or because it's quicker than converting to HD. I've converted using Video Redo and it takes forever.

I'm hoping the to be released TiVo transcoder device will stream and transcode to HD, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. Apr 9, 2012 #4 of 10
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo Desktop transcodes to SD because the Main Concept codecs they use come with built in profiles, and those profiles have no been updated by Main Concept in years. (we use the same codecs in VideoReDo, but not the built in profiles)

As for recoding speed with VideoReDo... it's really CPU dependent. I recently bought a new i7-2700K machine and I can convert to an HD iPad file faster then real time. Meaning a 42 minute show (hour minus commercials) only takes about 30 minutes to convert. However on my old machine it took almost double real time, so a newer CPU will make a big difference there.

All that being said I'm looking forward to the hardware transcoder too. Personally I'm looking forward more to the streaming then the side loading, but the side loading will be convenient as well.

Dan

5. DTxAg

DTxAg New Member

Jun 25, 2011
    TiVo Desktop + TiVo Decode + Handbrake

6. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    I'm really looking forward to the new transcoder box. My new iPad is screaming for it :D

7. gthassell

gthassell Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    After suffering through TiVoDesktop nightmares with poor resolution and out of sync audio, and trying to use PAVTUBE (which I paid for and runs well, but does not have an automated / server mode) I recently made a second attempt to install and run kmttg.

Once I figured out a few tricks, I have been THRILLED. I have it running on a virtual PC on a server to avoid having a separate box, but it pulls off every show I want, syncs the audio, and then converts to an MP4 video format at 1280 x 720 that is beautiful, and takes about 1GB per hour. It also gives you the option to remove or keep the interim versions (before transcoding).

Oh, and its FREE.

The other advantage to this is that if you run the AirVideo ipad app (2.99 I think), you can wireless stream any shows you have converted, but not yet loaded onto your ipad while you are on your own local WiFi network.

8. megancheung

megancheung New Member

Apr 15, 2012
    LA,USA
    By scart in real time unfortunately. But if it series if you set the whole series link to play it works well recording overnight. I did that when my first TiVo has a fault after a few days and we'd just recorded a weekend marathon of something I didn't want to lose

9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Can you share the kmttg to ipad settins you used? I love the app - but my audio is always out of sync when trying to convert to an ipad video format.

10. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    When I read the post I was thinking of a feature I wish you could do
    with the phone/tab apps.

I would love to be able to transfer shows from the box you are logged onto at the time to another. Since the premiere is the only one with "my shows" access it would be limited to it.