1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVO Networking...

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by hybucket, Sep 27, 2013.

1. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Not sure this is the right forum but...
    I'm going to be hooking up an ethernet connection to a friend's TiVO. She does not have a computer or a router and would have no use for either one. But she does have internet service via a Comcast modem. Can the ethernet wire be hooked up directly to an ethernet port in the modem without a router? I"m sure I'm asking a silly question, but I don't know much more than my friend does, but it seems there should be a way to hook it up without installing a router. She had been using dial-up for her connection, but since it was thru Comcast's phone service, it never worked properly and now she has no guide info.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    There's no reason it shouldn't work, and it should be reasonably safe, since the few open ports that the TiVo exposes wouldn't be standard targets.

I can't conceive of such a person, although I know some people may somehow not yet be aware of the use they'd get out of it.

Er... why, if she's not using it? Would her bill be higher without it?

3. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    A logical question. She's 90 years old and it's amazing she can even work the TiVO!!

4. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    But what does she do with the internet?

She didn't get it just for the Tivo did she???

5. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    She got the internet because of Comcast's ridiculous pricing that makes it cheaper to get a plan WITH internet than without. She's had it for years and never used it.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I should add that personally, despite this, I'd be more comfortable with a router there, just to act as a firewall.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'll say that it should work.

A couple of years ago, I had a router go bad. At the time, I was limited on funds and it was going to be about a week or so before I could get a new one.

In the meantime, I figured I would try plugging my Tivos directly into the DSL modem so they could update the guide data.
    To my surprise, it worked.
    You just have to make sure your Tivos are configured to obtain an IP address automatically.

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Why surprise?

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Because at the time, I had not read of anyone trying such a thing on the forums and I was just guessing. As far as I knew, you *needed* a router if you had a Tivo. I didn't correlate a Tivo being equal to a computer in regards to networking.
    Now I know that Tivos are basically just specialized computers and I shouldn't have been surprised that it worked. :eek: