1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo+Netflix=worst implementation ever

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by lowepg, Dec 24, 2008.

1. lowepg

lowepg New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Did ANYONE test this?

Forget that it seems to perform FAr worse than an xbox (huh?), but it has crashed my series3 about 4 times in 10 attempts. This last time- I had to reboot the tivo 5 times for it to get past "Almost there."

Also found it comical that a google search reveals a support link on tivo for "series3 freezing at Almost there" ,but now the page cant be found.

Terrible Tivo, absolutely terrible.

One more buggy item that has made me regret being an early adopter of the series3 hd.
  2. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Huh? Works without issue on both my Tivos, one S3 and one HD.
  3. lowepg

lowepg New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    whoops. must be fine then.

Oh wait....
  4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Really odd - works great on both my HD and S3.

Just spitballing... How is your internet connection? Do you think you could be dropping packets?
  5. mikesown

mikesown New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    My main complaint with the Netflix app is the fact that it's hosted remotely(this is true of Amazon and most other external apps on the tivo). This is a horrible design choice in my opinion(Tivo, you should be ashamed of yourself!). Designing the app to run natively without a VM would make much more sense and would make the app a LOT faster, since internet requests would be minimized to running searches, getting queue data and displaying video - it wouldn't require an internet request for every button press.

And, as long as we're at it, on my THD(which runs in 480i over component in 4:3 mode) the menus on the external applications are distorted(such as "please wait").

I have a very good internet connection, but it still takes a good 1-2 seconds to register a button press when using Netflix.
  6. kevinivey

kevinivey New Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I do not have any delays ,and HD playback is good. My connection is 2 up and 10 down.
  7. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    I currently have 2 HDs on the same wired network - both with V11 software. Both subscribed both to TiVo and Netflix. One works fine with Netflix, the other crashes to a gray screen every time I try to view something from my Netflix instant queue.
  8. bru_man

bru_man New Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Netflix works great for me, Have you considered that you might have a bad Tivo? getting stuck at almost there and random crashing sounds like a bad hard disk or memory?
    You know how how electronics are they generally fail with in the first week or run for years.
  9. gqkull

gqkull New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I figured out one thing. You cannot watch movies at the same time on 2 systems. Bandwidth is there for one only. I am on Roadrunner turbo with like 15 MB down, and I still have issues with 2 systems trying to do shows at the same time...
  10. Mindflux

Mindflux TiVowned

Jan 16, 2008
    Works on my THD, no probs. So it's not just one person having good experiences.
  11. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    I've had a few lockups but I would not say it's the worst ever. You are a bit out of line with that. I'm sure that they tested but just missed the fact that some people have different internet connections that possibly can't handle the load.

12. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio shaun

Jun 20, 2003
    zanesville, ohio
    have no problems with mine on my series 3 hd
  13. Mindflux

Mindflux TiVowned

Jan 16, 2008
    The quality meter will and can change if your connection is shaky. I had one movie start at 10 bars (I think there's 11) and it paused for a moment and dropped to 8 bars to stream properly. They obviously thought of varying connectivity with this feature.
  14. lowepg

lowepg New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    lol.... i wasnt inferring that either. But if you look around here - you will see a multitude of threads on netflix.

I have a 8mbps link, with pretty solid connections. 5 tivos on the network - 1 wired, 4 wireless.

But even if if my internet was flaky or slower speed- crashing to a point where a reboot is required is absolutely terrible design for a dropped net connection. I cant imagine anyone who would disagree?

Im also disappointed that my xbox360 seems to handle this netflix business much more smoothly. Tivo (as a purpose-built tv/video box) should be embarrassed....
  15. Mindflux

Mindflux TiVowned

Jan 16, 2008
    Sorry, your xbox is nothing more than a PC in a small shell. It's got horsepower (high end cpu) and much more memory (RAM). The fact that the TiVo uses a Broadcom CPU and relies pretty much solely on the tuner card gpu(or cpus) to display a solid picture with no stuttering gives reason to believe that there may be kinks to work out launching a remote java application off a Netflix server to be a bit shaky especially within the first few weeks of launch. Java, is very CPU intensive for whatever reason.. and the TiVo doesn't have much of one to begin with.
  16. bluetex

bluetex Wha?

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'd say it's not the worst implementation ever. I will also say it isn't as good as the netflix : xbox360 implementation.
  17. lowepg

lowepg New Member

Sep 20, 2005

No need to apologize- I'll leave that to TiVo. :)

Pointing out tiVo's weak hardware still doesnt excuse a shoddy design. Deciding to launch this remotely off the netflix site may have been a poor choice.

Tivo Fanboys- have at it, but I still stand behind criticizing my $800 tivo hd being put to shame by my $250 xbox ....for watching a tv show! Comical.
  18. lowepg

lowepg New Member

Sep 20, 2005

Let me explain why I think its THAT bad.

We had a storm knock out internet for a few hours the other day. As luck would have it- my kids were watching a streamed netflix movie.

The Tivo crashed and required a hard reset. However, since the tivo couldnt get onto the internet, it cannot complete the reboot when recovering from this netflix crash. Tv rendered useless by internet outage?

Network came back up, but I needed to recycle the wireless connection for the tivo.... So, tivo was unusable.... I evenutally figured this all out- but Tivo was ZERo help. For the "average joe" using tivo (or my wife and kids JUST trying to watch tv) this is a mess.

Granted this poor design is only exposed when a net connection drops- but its not like thats some incredibly rare possibility. Wasnt a net drop situation tested?

THAT is why I think its THAT bad. Im not even considering how much better the quality is across my xbox- just the absolutely terrible error recovery.
  19. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast Joisey
    Not to be an apologist here but if I have zippo problems with my S3 and THD and others have major problems with essentially the same boxes what's the difference that causes the problem? Networks - ISP, routers, etc.

Doesn't fix the problem but gives us a direction in which to look.
  20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    some may simply be saying that "worst implementation ever" is overstating the issues. If no one was reporting good performance than that is one thing but I hav seen plenty of working great for me mixed in.

In testing any app like this there are numerous parts that will vary based on where the end use is and what they use. TiVo has a beta program you can sign up for so I would think they tested this - but can you get enough volunteers to cover all the areas and all the ways things are configured? Most likely not.

Also the business side most likely was pushing to have this out before Christmas shoppers made choices. Netflix may have been holding TiVo to some time frame as well.

In the history of software releases there have been numerous 1.0 versions that people look on with dismay. Routinely, most smart IT shops would never use the latests Microsoft OS until at least the first Service pack is out for it.

so I find this far from the "worst implementation ever" and after seeing different userids saying basically the same thing am starting to wonder where all this over the top hyperbole is in fact coming from.