1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo N Adaptor Bricked after Fall 2013 Update

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sandycityscott, Nov 15, 2013.

1. sandycityscott

sandycityscott Member

Oct 8, 2002
    My wireless N adaptor would no longer connect after the upgrade... I reset the adaptor and tried to log into it at 192.168.10.1... but it's not home. Won't connect via WiFi Protected setup either. Appears to be bricked.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How did you reset it?

3. telemark

telemark New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    What are the LED's doing? Also what's the Client-Bridge switch set to?

4. sandycityscott

sandycityscott Member

Oct 8, 2002
    I reset it using a paperclip and the small hole in the bottom. How do YOU usually do it?

5. sandycityscott

sandycityscott Member

Oct 8, 2002
    I'm using "client" mode. I believe "bridge" mode is only when you want to use to of the TiVo 'N' adapters together to bridge from the router. The LED signal bars just blink blue, and never find my 5GHz network. Tried to sync with my 2GHz, but it doesn't find that anymore, either. I was able to admin it from my computer, and set it up with my network. Works until I plug it into the TiVo.

6. xbr23

xbr23 New Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    try switching the network connection on the Tivo box. ask it to connect to Moca and let that time out and then tell it to use the ethernet.

just throwing out ideas. i have been tinkering with my home network and Tivo's can be a PITA.

7. telemark

telemark New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Oh, if you can get into the adapter via computer, it's not quite bricked.

Could you see what software version it's running? I wanted to understand if Tivo updated the firmware on the adapters at the same time as the roll out.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I found this section very helpful. I moved and the router had its firmware changed. The blinking blue signal LED is explained:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1590

I used a laptop with Win7 and wireless disabled to run the configuration program. I just selected the correct SSID and the device works fine now. I verified the TiVo port by running 100' CAT-5 cable to a router switch port.

9. DogsOfWarandPeac

DogsOfWarandPeac New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    My wireless N adapter wasn't bricked after the update, but it did not work after the update until I did a reset using the button on the bottom and entering the wifi network settings again via an attached computer.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Unless TiVo also updated the firmware in the N adapter this TiVo update should have not changed things unless your TiVo will not now connect directly with a RJ45 cable form the router (a test you should make if possible), as that all the N adapter is, is a WiFi to RJ45 converter.

11. DogsOfWarandPeac

Apr 11, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Sure it shouldn't cause problems for something connected via an Ethernet cable, but the fact remains that it did and the problems started immediately following the TiVo update. I have two Premeire units that were both updated and only the one connected via the wireless N adapter had problems, the one physically wired into my network had no problems.

I did quite a bit of troubleshooting and other ways of fixing the problem before resetting the N adapter. The problems only disappeared after the adapter reset.

12. srm59

srm59 Tivologist

Sep 27, 2004
    Glen Cove, NY
    I've tried resetting my N adapter and still have problems connecting. It connects to the Tivo Server but then craps out while downloading with an N11 error code saying the internet connection was interrupted. I'm thinking it must be something on the Tivo side with their server timing out for some reason.

I'm going to try to reset the adapter again and see if the firmware is up to date.

13. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Try using a different computer. One thing that can cause that problem is if you get a "do you want to set this "new" network connection as home/public network" pop-up on your computer and you don't answer the question. You have to set it up as "home" or it will be blocked.

Also, when you connect the ethernet cable, your computer should respond, saying that it has found a new network connection. If it does not, there may be something wrong with how it's connected, or with the ethernet connection.

Not being able to find the network adapter is a common problem that almost always has a solution.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Network Nxx errors can be resolved by adding the router's IP address to the Gateway and DNS server. N133/C133 errors is on the Tivo's server side and can only resolve on that end.

15. srm59

srm59 Tivologist

Sep 27, 2004
    Glen Cove, NY
    Well, I've tried just about everything I can think of short of running a CAT5 wire to my router. I've reset the adapter, the Tivo box and even my network. I've assigned a static IP to the Tivo box and still, the furthest I get is that the info starts downloading and then stops with the excuse that the connection was interrupted. I haven't had this much trouble since 1988trying to download a file on AOL.

I still think it has to do with the Fall Update. It was strange that it was pushed during Prime Time on Saturday night. I wonder if a file was corrupted because my network is fine and the Tivo was working well up until that point. I wish I could rollback the update.

UPDATE:
    Well, I tried something different. I connected the adapter to an alternate network to see what would happen. To my surprise, it completed the download and is now finishing up. I hope that this shakes out the gremlins so when I connect it back to my main network it will work again.

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My money goes that it still fails. Speculation: when connecting to the new router it found a new SSID it liked and configured itself. When using the paper clip to perform the factory reset do you wait for the LED to change color? Anyhow, I wish you luck.

17. srm59

srm59 Tivologist

Sep 27, 2004
    Glen Cove, NY
    Well, it worked for a day but then started to fail again. So, back to the drawing board.

When I reset the adapter, the lights switched to just the red power light. Then connected to my PC, I ran the set up to switch the SSID back to my home router. I gave the Tivo top priority on the network and set it to a static IP. I'm thinking it's something on my network but can't figure out what. I don't have any ports blocked and when I run the Tivo diagnostics, it passes the TCP and DNS tests and passes the network connection test, so it is still a puzzle.

18. DogsOfWarandPeac

Apr 11, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Try forcing the N adapter to connect to a 2.4 GHz network and see if that helps. Then try forcing it to 5GHz. It helps rule that out frequency as an issue (which can be a problem caused by walls, cordless phones, microwaves, etc.). If you give your 2.4 and 5GHz networks different SSIDs that will make the process easier.

19. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I am having the exact same problem with my N adapter. It worked flawlessly until the latest update, and now it fails with 'Connection Interrupted' or "Failed while configuring'.

The other option, Test Internet Connection, works fine.

Did all the usuals, reset the adapter, rebooted Tivo, reprogrammed adapter by connecting it to the PC, changed from 2.4GHz to 5GHz, etc.

So frustrating.

20. DogsOfWarandPeac

Apr 11, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Try setting a static IP address on the adapter.