1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo N adapter as generic N receiver

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by howards, Feb 20, 2013.

1. howards

howards Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Is there a reason the Tivo N wireless adapter is setup so that I can't use it as a generic wireless receiver by plugging it into a switch? Tried it and the N adapter never connects unless it's plugged directly into the Tivo.

The reason I'd like to use it this way is that my Premiere sits right next to a Series 2, and if I could use a switch then I could run the Series 2 at N speeds.

Yes, I know, I can buy a different Wireless N unit and plug it into a switch, but I already own the Tivo unit.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would not get any faster speed with N wireless and its not compatible with the Series 2. Also, its a wireless network bridge.

3. howards

howards Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Of course I would get faster speed. The wireless link would run at N speeds instead of G speeds.

And I know N wireless is not compatible with Series 2. I was looking to use a USB ethernet adapter from the Series 2 to a switch connected to the network bridge.

I could easily accomplish this if I wanted to spend more money on non-Tivo products. But the question I asked was why the Tivo network bridge won't work when plugged into a switch instead of directly to the Tivo. I could plug any number of 3rd part network bridges into a switch.

4. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Keeping it simpler the DLink DAP-1522/1533 bridges provide wireless N pick your band (2.4/5ghz) and a 4 port gigabit switch. Sell the TiVo N adapter...

5. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    You are missing part of the point. The series 2 networking is s-l-o-w, and connecting it to a faster network will not have the huge impact you think it will.

The tivo N bridge is only made to work with Tivo, they did not program/test it to work with other setups as it only had one purpose. It was made for those who DON'T know about network bridges.

6. howards

howards Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Yes, if I wanted to buy new equipment there are lots of choices.

7. howards

howards Member

Oct 31, 2007
    1) By your rationale, a Series 2 wouldn't be any faster hooked up to a hardwired ethernet link either. That's hard to believe, but if you can point me to throughput statistics somewhere...

2) It's more than that. Tivo actively did something to prevent using their network bridge plugged into a switch. (I know because I tried it, and it doesn't work unless plugged directly into the Tivo.) It's not a question of it being an untested configuration - it's a deliberately hamstrung configuration.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you already own a switch?

Connect the S4's RJ-45 to one on the switch, and the N adapter's Ethernet cable/jack/whatever to the switch.

See if the S4 can see the adapter.

9. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    That is not what I said at all. I said it would not have a huge impact. It could be faster, depending upon a bunch of factors including interference with wireless signals, but it may not have much difference at all. Don't expect miracles is all I'm saying.

Hardwired is always better, and I have made the conversion several times. Certainly transfer speeds increased, but the main reason I moved is the connectivity for netflix.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    So? If it were meant to be universal, it would have needed to go through additional testing. Limiting functionality is unsurprising. Did the specs mention it could function as you are attempting?

11. howards

howards Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I already said I tried that, and it doesn't work. That's what prompted this thread. The N adapter is somehow crippled so that it doesn't work unless connected directly to the Tivo.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's not being crippled, that's being designed for a specific purpose, to work with the TiVo.

13. MacPrince

MacPrince School IT Monkey

Dec 16, 2000
    Lake In The...
    I have a TiVo 11n adapter plugged into a desktop computer to connect it to our home Wi-Fi. I had one to spare and it works perfectly well.