1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Mini with loose power plug

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by innocentfreak, Sep 16, 2013.

1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I just picked up a Mini for my mom this weekend and noticed the power cord is loose. The plug doesn't sit flush on the back of the Mini and you can actually move it in and out without unplugging it. There is a noticable gap where the power cord stops and the back the of Mini. Are they all like this or did I get a bad one?

It works, but I am concerned with how it looks since it looks like the plug should be a flush fit.

[​IMG]

2. LJP

LJP LJP

Aug 6, 2010
    My two Minis that came last week also have the loose fitting power cable...interesting!

3. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I stopped by Best Buy but they were out to see if another one was like that.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Mine fits good. But it's relatively old. Maybe this is a recent change? Or a bad batch?

5. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    My older one fits snugly, but the other three I ordered with my Roamio Pro are loose. I fear they may come unplugged since I have my Minis mounted on the back of my TV's.

6. Fist of Death

Fist of Death Bon Vivant

Jan 4, 2002
    The Emerald...
    I've got the same thing going on with my new Mini, while my old Mini power plug fits snugly. The loose power cord can be easily pulled out, which is kinda frustrating if you're watching something. I'm on the phone w/TiVo right now to try the easy fix first (new power cord). They're now aware of this issue, and have looked at this thread. I'll let you know if the replacement cord solves the problem.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Since you have two you should try the old plug with the new Mini and see if it fits snug. If it does then you know it's the plug. If not then it's the port on the Mini itself.

8. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I attached a pic in the first post to show what it looks like. This is all the way in.

9. AdamfromChi

AdamfromChi New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I'm having the same problem with my TiVo Mini that arrived yesterday, from Amazon. I e-mailed TiVo and their response was that they don't have replacement power cords, are currently out of stock of new Minis, and that I should return the unit to Amazon. This sounds a little silly since it seems like a simple fix and it sounds like it's not an uncommon problem on newer units - the replacement from Amazon might be the same way, and I'd have to go through the trouble of setting it up and buying lifetime service all over again. Has anyone had any luck in resolving this?

10. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Right now waiting to see if the replacement cord for Fist of Death fixes it.

11. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    My power plug looks the same as the pic in the 1st post. Yes you can wiggle the plug side to side, but the female side of the Mini has a secure grip on it; there is some inertia to overcome if you try to pull it out. It's not about to just fall out. There is nothing wrong imho.

12. Gadfly

Gadfly New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I have the same problem and occasionally the power cable comes off.

Tivo has consistently disappointed me in quality of their hardware and software. Unfortunately I have invested way too much in Tivo. (not that there is much competition out there.)

13. dslunceford

dslunceford Active Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    Just received one from Amazon today. It's not the cord/plug that's loose, it's the power jack in the unit that moves around. I would try and live with it, but my box was stuck on powering up message, so sending back for a replacement.

Edit: Amazon replacement has same issue...

14. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Agreed. There is some wiggle side-to-side on both of my recent Mini's but there is inertia to overcome in order to pull it out.

15. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Both of my minis are probably first batch and both have always been loose. It's a horrendous design. Reminds me of a laptop I have that the dog pulled off the table and bent the power connection.

16. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    It's not just newer units. I wonder if the mini could be opened and a real cord attached giving a design that should have been done in the first place.

17. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    And because of that gap the user doesn't know how far to try to push the cord in. The first time you do ... " you gotta be kidding me! " runs through your head. I suppose we could wrap the plug with duct tape until it was positive.

18. dkoz

dkoz New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Boston
    The power plug on my new Mini also does not fit snuggly, although it hasn't fallen out yet. When I first got it I thought for sure I was inserting wrong, as I have never seen such a thing on another consumer electronics device.

Not a biggie, but surprising to see.

19. sldozier

sldozier New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Virginia Beach
    New Tivo user here: Glad I found this thread. I thought it was a little strange that the power plug didn't seem like it was securely attached on the mini, but I brushed it off and kept moving as I was in setup mode. I just purchase mines yesterday.

20. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I am not worried about it falling out. Its the reboots if you touch the unit to move it or dust etc. I am seriously thinking abot wrapping some strips of duct tape around the metal end to get snug to the plastic opening.