1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Mini Support

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by bluebsh, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1 of 33
    bluebsh

bluebsh Member

Jun 4, 2008
  2. Nov 2, 2012 #2 of 33
    Stevesreed

Stevesreed New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    That's not very good planning...

3. Nov 2, 2012 #3 of 33
    kbtivo

kbtivo New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I spoke with the folks at Tivo, via chat at tivo.com, and asked about upgrading from a 2 tuner premier to a 4 tuner premier - no such upgrade. I also have lifetime on my 2 tuner unit. No transfer of lifetime either. So, $800 just to be able to be able to use the Mini (with lifetime) - not including the price of the Mini.

Perhaps they will have an upgrade program when the Mini is released. If not, I'll seriously look at other options rather than spend nearly $1000 to have the Mini.

4. Nov 3, 2012 #4 of 33
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Premiere 4 = $249
    MSD Lifetime = $399

That's only $648, not $800. Plus you could probably sell your old Premiere for $350-$400 to recover some of the costs.

Cheaper then buying another 2 tuner Premiere with lifetime + CableCARD + Tuning Adapter + outlet fee.

Dan

5. Nov 3, 2012 #5 of 33
    supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I would be in the same position. I would love to have another TiVo in the house, but have been waiting for the Mini to show itself.
    I currently have one TiVo Premiere, two tuner. It is still on a service contract.
    At some point I could simply purchase another Premiere one one of the many specials TiVo has been running recently (and I'm guessing things will continue into the holiday shopping season).
    MSD may work out to be cheaper by adding a second unit. This may be the better option depending on the end cost of the Mini, and any service fee it may carry when it is released.

I hope that this is updated or at least clarified when the Mini is released. I can use it with a 2 tuner, but need a 4 tuner for setup?

Exactly. TiVo is starting to muddy things a little bit. The compatibility of new boxes and new devices seems to be diluting with each new release. People like myself are interested in adding or upgrading TiVo devices but will be unable due to contracts and incompatibility. Not to mention each time I use my Stream or read about the Mini I think, "Why isn't this all inside the same box?" I'm sure it will be, just as soon as I upgrade and purchase the Mini, a new Series 5 box will release. Ahh, technology. ;)

6. Nov 3, 2012 #6 of 33
    swarto112

swarto112 New Member

Sep 9, 2012
    ya, i know what ya mean. i held off buying the premiere until the stream or mini were released. I love the xl4. four tuners rock and i bet once the minis roll out the 6 tuner will be even better.

dont care for the hd menus as it acts just like cable interfaces so ive switched it to SD and its way faster.

7. Athensmomof3

Athensmomof3 New Member

Oct 12, 2012
    I am reading that the Tivo Mini release to retail will be delayed to 2013. Any truth to this? Is a retail launch still planned?

We are anxiously awaiting . . .

8. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It looks like the text of the Mini's page (see OP) was updated a little bit. Not as much of an MSO slant as before.

9. jwagner010

jwagner010 New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Does anyone know if this will support the TiVo Bluetooth remote? I want to mount this behind my TV, but unless it supports the bluetooth remote this will not be possible as the Mini will need to be ‘viewable’ to the IR TiVo remote.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think anyone knows for sure. But IIRC the pictures showed a USB port, so maybe. Although there was a post in the Coffee House a few days ago saying that TiVo is discontinuing the slide remote so it may not even be around by the time the mini is released.

Although if that's not an option there are extender type devices that use a small stick-on IR receiver that captures all IR signals and transmits them inside a cabinet. You could probably use something like that to make your setup work.

Dan

11. jwagner010

jwagner010 New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks Dan. I agree an extender is always an option but one less powered device behind the flat screen would be a huge plus !!!!

12. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  13. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    So the mini could serve has a Moca hub when paired with a network switch.

:rolleyes: could make the cost of it easier to handle for some.

14. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I thought I read that the Mini would have MoCA connectivity, but no MoCA bridge, meaning you can't hang a device (or switch) off it when connected via coax.

15. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Where did you see that? I suspect MoCA bridge functionality would add to the cost and complexity and wouldn't be used by the majority of Mini users.

16. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    I was just talking from my you know what, I just assumed it did. :eek::p

17. flashedbios

flashedbios New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    who said you have to get lifetime?

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No one, but it's the better buy. Units with lifetime retain much of their value even after several years. Units without lifetime are practically worthless after a few years. With lifetime you'll be able to recoup a large part of your initial investment making it a much better deal in the long run.

Dan

19. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    +1

I was able to convert my whole house from Series3 to Series4 pretty inexpensively, because I received over $1000 for the old boxes. Without lifetime, they would have been worth about $200. So every time I upgrade 3 boxes, it's like buying one and getting two free.