1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Mini & Slingbox... can it work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by tbielowicz, Mar 23, 2013.

1. tbielowicz

tbielowicz New Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I know this was asked by other community members before release, but I have not seen any updates. I liked the idea that you were not hijacking the main Tivo unit and instead a mini.

Let me know if this worked for anyone and if there were any limitations.

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I have a Vulkano I may hook it up to. I'll report how it goes if I do.

3. Gaidin43

Gaidin43 Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I know you have to use the break out cables and just like the Slingbox on the main TiVo box I believe you need a powered splitter / receiver / TV on the end of the HDMI if you don't just through put the component cables to your tv.

4. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I suppose it would work. You could have the HDMI to the TV and the component to the Slingbox. This assumes that the Tivo would output to both HDMI and Component at the same time (Like the Premiere does).

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It works fine with component out from the Mini to the SB. And the component out from the SB going to the TV.

6. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    So will it work with the HDMI out, or not? and also, does anyone know if the mini work with BOTH the HDMI and the component breakout cable?

7. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    The Slingbox ALWAYS needs component, because of HDCP issues. The Slingbox 500 will ask if the exact same signal is present on the HDMI, apparently so it can use that if HDCP allows at a given time.

8. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yes it does, just did it yesterday. :up:

(Both at same time)

9. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    yes, I just use a 500 with HDMI only, but don't stream things like HBO which is one of the only things it pukes on. I have the component setup as well, for when I travel and want HBO streaming (But most things are on hbogo) but if the mini WILL do both, component AND HDMI at the same time, then that is great, I'll probably just setup one premier or mini and try and have that do the one slingbox

10. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    It will, I did, it does! ;)

11. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Nice, sounds like it's following the copy once for HDCP on the HDMI side.

12. MisterTWo

MisterTWo New Member

Aug 20, 2012
    I have a Tivo Mini and and Slingbox 350, I ran into an issue with the following configuration:

Tivo Mini:
    HDMI - to av receiver
    Component - to Slingbox 350

Viewing content over the Slingbox works but displays a message floating on top of the content that says "HDMI connection not permitted, press select for more information". All Tivo menu's, recorded, and live TV work but I see that message floating over all video content. I've tried to make it go away but it pops back up right away.

As a workaround I'm using the component outputs only and everything works as expected. Hopefully they will disable the error message in a software upgrade as I'd rather use HDMI to get surround sound from the Mini.

13. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    I'm having the same issue with a XL4 and the 500 slingbox. Not really sure if it is an issue with the HDMI in on the TV from the SB or something else, but yes I just use the component connection for slinging and it works fine. HDMI straight from the TIVO to the TV and that works fine too.

14. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    The problem is usually that the HDMI destination is not handshaking when it is in "off" or "standby". It is is a receiver, they can be tricked into staying active by turning the HDMI Control mode to ON, which keeps it listening, and therefore HDMI stays active.

15. MisterTWo

MisterTWo New Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Thank you! I turned on RIHD mode on my Onkyo which is their version of HDMI control and everything is working as expected even with the receiver turned off!

16. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    What were the slingbox 500 settings people used for the mini?

17. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    Should the HDMI audio come over regular WAN streaming? I'm getting the dreaded HDMI not supported error on a Tivo Mini connected via HDMI to a SB 500, then to a samsung 46" HDCP compliant TV.. but no audio on WAN streaming..

Does one ALSO need the component connection just to get audio?

18. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    If you are having HDCP issues with the 500, you might want to pick up a ViewHD hdmi splitter off Amazon. For $20, they work wonders, I use one of them with a Black Magic HDMI Intensity Pro card in my PC and it has never let me down, there's no reason it wouldn't work the same with a Slingbox 500....

19. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    RI
    Can you provide a link? I am not seeing anything in that price range on Amazon.

20. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006