1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Mini Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by midson, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Jan 6, 2014 #1 of 15
    midson

midson New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    I'm a week into my new Roamio / Mini setup. Everything works great and I'm really happy. However, I just noticed the remotes are different. The mini one is much bigger and the buttons are configured slightly different, with the "back" button missing altogether. Why is this?

2. Jan 6, 2014 #2 of 15
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Mini was released about 10 months ago to initially supplement the Tivo Premiere line of DVRs. The remote is identical to what Tivo was using at the time for the Premiere.

Presumably, Tivo will "refresh" the Mini hardware at some point in the future to match the new Roamio DVRs and new RF remote.

3. Jan 7, 2014 #3 of 15
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I picked up SLide Pro remotes to use with both of my Minis. I also got SLide Pro Remotes to use with my two Roamios so all the remotes are the same that I use.

4. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I just got my Mini and was annoyed to find the remote is different. You'd think be the same as the Roamio's by now.

5. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The Roamio remote has RF and find me, without changing the hardware in the Mini (a Mini 2 ?) the remotes can't be exactly the same.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Sure they could be the same if they wanted them to. The remote just wouldn't use RF mode with the Mini.

7. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Exactly, if there is any future updates with the Mini remote all they have to do is change it to the newer style that Roamios have. Thank would make better business and support sense. They could even include the RF adapter if they wanted to but that would increase costs.

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I am sure the Roamio Remote cost more also, so if your going to put in a more expensive remote with built in RF and find me you also should change the Mini hardware to work with this remote, otherwise why spend the extra money on the Mini.

9. Sep 2, 2014 #9 of 15
    Mumzy

Mumzy New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    As others stated you can use a Roamio remote with the Mini in IR mode. Or you can do like I did and pick up a Tivo Slide Pro with bluetooth dongle. Works great.

10. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    It does...there is a button on the dongle that you use to pair it with the remote. Once paired, pressing that button will cause the paired remote to play the "find me" jingle on the Roamio or Slide pro remotes.

Not sure why you would want it to play through HDMI...that would come from the speakers, not the remote.

11. meoge

meoge New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    I've looked through the Tivo website, but I don't see an RF dongle for the mini that allows the Roamio slide pro remote to work with it?

Edit:
    After looking though the support documentation for the Slide Pro, it looks like the RF dongle is included when you by the remote separately. Is there any reason to buy the Slide Pro for the Premier/Mini if the dongle is included with the one for the Roamio?

12. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The Slide Pro comes in 2 flavors, one for the Roamio and one for the Premiere/Mini. They're the same thing, except by selecting the Premiere/Mini version, they include the dongle.

The dongle isn't sold separately from the Slide Pro, but some people have apparently called Tivo and they sent them one.

13. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I think you have that backwards. The dongle is included with the Premiere/Mini version as mentioned above, not the Roamio.

14. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  15. advocate2

advocate2 New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I called Tivo customer service and they sent me a dongle for free.