1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Mini MoCA Transmit Power

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by untfan, Apr 12, 2013.

1. untfan

untfan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Just a quick question for you guys... I just installed a couple of Mini's at my parents house and had to slightly change their setup (I moved the Modem/Router/MoCA adapter to the Garage where the Charter service comes in, so it looks something like the following:

-->GND BLK --> 2-WAY-->MODEM
    ------------------------> AMP --> POE Filter --> 8-Way Splitter --> MoCA Adapter
    -----------------------------------------------------------------> 7 Feeds to TiVo/TVs

I am getting MoCA PHY Rates between 235 and 245 Mbps. The only thing I find interesting is that the Transmit Power is listed as -15 to -20. Do others see the same? I'm wondering if this is because my adapter is so close to the splitter (or that it is being reported incorrectly [or via the Point-of-View of the Host Premiere 4 TiVo). It has been working great, but just find it interesting that I am transmitting with a -15 dB of power which means it isn't taking a lot of to get to the host. As a point of Reference the Host TiVo is probably 150+ feet of Coax and the Minis are 50 and 100 feet of Coax away from the 8-way splitter.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My transmit power is -25 on both of my Minis. My Coax does go through an eight way splitter and several two way splitters.

3. untfan

untfan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks. Looks like I have nothing to worry about then. I was just surprised to see the large negative number - yours is even larger meaning its transmitting at less power despite going through more splitters - which confuses me.

But I'm not going to worry about it as it works and others see the same result as I.

4. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    The negative number is normal.... it is referred to as attenuation.