1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Mini IR receiver

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by teklock, Mar 12, 2013.

1. teklock

teklock New Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Didn't they say one would be released at the time of the mini?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Seems all the accessories are missing. They don't seem to have the breakout cables for the component or A/V ports yet either.

3. teklock

teklock New Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Oh yeah.. Just noticed that wasn't in the box. Glad I don't need it!

4. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I don't see an IR port, am I missing something?

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think it's suppose to be a USB dongle of some sort.

6. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I need those breakout cables, my mini arrives on Thursday and my old HD set does not have HDMI.

Any suggestions on another source for component breakout cables, amazon and google have been little help here.

7. teklock

teklock New Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Looking at the ports on the back of the mini, I can't see this coming from anyone other than Tivo.

8. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    They are 3.5mm breakout cables but I can only find composite and don't want to guess which color goes where.

I guess I have a paperweight until they release these.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are some available on Amazon, but if the ground port isn't in the right location for the TiVo configuration it wont work. If the ground is in the right spot then you could rearrange the other cables until it works (i.e. might have to go green to blue, red to green, etc...), but if the ground is in the wrong place then it's not going to work at all unless you cut the cable and rewire it.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You could get one of these...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atlona+...4055&st=hdmi to component converter&cp=1&lp=1

But it's almost as much as the Mini itself.

One other downfall to using the breakout cables is that there is no optical port, so audio is going to be stereo only unless you use HDMI. (or that box I posted above)

11. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I don't have the picture of the TiVo cable handy, but I recall it looked very similiar to the breakout cable for my Panasonic P65VT50 television.

12. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Not too worried about sound as this tv is not using an HDMI receiver as my other.sets have.

I will wait for TiVo to have these soon or the 30 return policy will be tested.

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I bought some from Amazon (third party seller). Very cheap. Planning on moving them around until it works. If I can't get it to work, no big $ loss.

14. gbruyn

gbruyn New Member

Mar 20, 2012
    I'm looking for an IR USB receiver for the Tivo mini? Where can I get a USB IR extender? Anyone figure anything out yet?

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you can still find a TiVo Slide somewhere that works well. I'm using one with my Mini.

16. gbruyn

gbruyn New Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Slide is really expensive. I just want a USB cable that extends the IR receiver.

17. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007
    My Hewlett Packard USB IR receiver works on my Tivo Mini. I have a hunch that all USB IR receivers are created equal and will work as well. I have a Phillips around here somewhere. I'll give it a try as soon as I find it.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have an old MS one that went with a MCE remote I bought for my old HTPC. I wonder if it will work? Although it's really big, so it's probably not really a desirable option.

19. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Time for a new TV.

20. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I just hooked up my Mini and the IR seems very responsive. This Mini I hooked up to my master bedroom TV, which sits inside an armoire. I put the Mini next to the TV base, but slightly behind the TV. The remote works fine for me no matter where I point it in that room. Just for kicks, I pointed it 180 degrees the opposite direction from the Mini (basically at my chin) and it still recognized the commands. I won't be needing any kind of IR extender in that room.