1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo mini data usage....

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Bucknut34, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Bucknut34

Bucknut34 New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    I just got my tivo mini hooked up via moca. Does anyone know how much dAta usage this takes? My Comcast Internet is capped at 250. Just wanted to check to see if anyone knew. I appreciate the info on this site.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Comcast suspended the 250GB cap a while back.

3. 9300170

9300170 Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    I'm guessing that you realize that anything you do within your own network wouldn't count against any caps and that you're asking how much use of features such as connecting to the TiVo servers and using apps like Netflix would use.

The daily updates to TiVo should be so minuscule as to never matter. Your use of netflix or hulu will vary with your individual usage but you'd have to download a lot of movies to get close to your 250GB cap.

4. Bucknut34

Bucknut34 New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    So I guess I am confused here. The moca network that connects the tivo mini does not use any data itself when on? Except for streaming netflix and such?

5. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Streaming (or xfering) from one TiVo to another TiVo or Mini is internal data and not seen by Comcast, only external data like Netflix, You Tube, etc. will come from external data that would count against any data cap you may ever have someday.

6. Bucknut34

Bucknut34 New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Thank you guys for the reply on that.

7. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    I'm not sure exactly how much the mini uses, but my P4XL PLUS A MINI uses at least 50MB a day, up and back.

8. yokito

yokito New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Not that I can verify this anymore but we are likely now consuming 300GB+ I haven't seen any communications from Comcast or news lately addressing this.

With the cap gone, I'm telling you we are streaming more than ever.

9. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    If you login to your comcast page, head to services, head to your devices (your modem will be listed there) it should say "250GB cap has been suspended"

you might actually have to click through to the USAGE page to see it, can't recall.

10. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    RI
    You can still login to your account and see how much you have used.

11. Bucknut34

Bucknut34 New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    The previous poster stated that the moca network will not count against your data because it is using your own network. I have a tivo roamio and mini hooked up via moca and have not seen any raise in my data usage. However, I did get notification from comcast that starting 10/1/13 the data cap is back on and it is now 300GB.

12. yokito

yokito New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Did you also say what happens when you go over? I remember seeing that you will be able to buy additional bandwidth and not get disconnect anymore - at least that's what I saw several month ago when they lifted the cap.

I guess, Comcast has enough data now as what would happen if they did away with the cap and how much more money they could make now that we haven't been watching our bandwidth usage.

13. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Only external data will count with Comcast, TiVo to TiVo (or Mini) xfer or streaming will not go out on the Comcast system, things like watching Netflix movies will take data from Comcast and go toward your cap.

14. pillpusher84

pillpusher84 New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    what a scam ... switch to FiOS

15. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    You seriously revived this thread for that comment?

And wtf are you talking about, anyway? There is no cap.

Thanks for wasting everyones time.

16. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    In some markets Comcast has put a cap back on and said will do this sometime in the future with all markets.