1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Mini and RV

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by VOLFAN, Dec 17, 2016.

1. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    I recently purchased a fifth wheel camper. My plan is to use a Roamio Plus in the living room which will connect to the campground's wi-fi only. The Roamio Plus will access internet for guide data only and not planning to stream Netflix, etc. as RV Campground wi-fi is too slow. I would like to have a Tivo Mini in the bedroom so the wife can watch what we have recorded on the Roamio while my son and I can watch sports, xBox, etc. in the Living Room.

Can I use this travel router - TP Link N300 Wireless Wi-Fi Nano Travel Router to accomplish my connection without using Moca or Ethernet? Any help greatly appreciated!

2. krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    If the campground Wi-Fi is too slow for Internet streaming apps, it's definitely too slow for TiVo Multi-Room Streaming (MRS) between the Roamio and Mini. If anything, you could use the Nano Travel Router to make your connection to the campground Wi-Fi and then either connect both the Mini and Roamio to the Nano router via Ethernet, or just the Roamio Plus -- and then connect the Mini and Roamio Plus via MoCA, leveraging the Plus' MoCA bridge.

3. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Thanks os much for the quick reply.

I think I have it backwards in my mind? I was thinking have the Roamio connect to the campground wirelessly then connect the Mini to the travel router via ethernet to fool the Mini. Technically, the Mini and Roamio will not work wirelessly. But they would not be able to communicate with my idea, correct? Connecting with your suggestion do I need any other Moca equipment? My understanding is both the Mini and Roamio are Moca ready. I read something about a filter? I've had Tivo's since Series 2 and networked my home, NAS, etc. but for some reason this situation has me confused. :) Note: I'm just wanting to have the ability to view My Shows (recordings) from the Roamio (Living Room) on the Mini (Bedroom) not stream Netflix, etc. Again, thanks for the help!

4. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    As mentioned above, the TiVo-to-TiVo streaming is a heavier haul than Internet app streaming, with cable recordings requiring as much as 20+ Mbps -- while HD quality Internet streaming content requires 8 Mbps or less.

This *would* trick the Mini, but not for long. Per your comment, the campground Wi-Fi wouldn't be able to sustain the Mini-Roamio streaming traffic and would quickly error out.

Sadly, correct -- per your assessment of the campground Wi-Fi.

To accomplish this you'll need:
    • Internet connection for Roamio Plus;
    • Internet connection for Mini;
    • High-bandwidth connection between Roamio Plus and Mini (a wired Ethernet or MoCA connection being required by TiVo);
    ... understanding that the Roamio Plus cannot connect via Wi-Fi *and* Ethernet or MoCA.

So my suggestion is use that Nano router to connect to the campground Wi-Fi and connect the Roamio Plus via Ethernet to the Nano; then connect the Mini either via Ethernet to the Nano or via coax/MoCA to the Roamio Plus. Ethernet between the rooms would likely be easiest, unless a coax run is already available.

The Mini is capable of connecting to a MoCA network and the Roamio Plus is capable of creating the MoCA network. And *typically* a MoCA filter would be installed on the cable coming into the home from the cable provider, to prevent MoCA signals from escaping the home out onto the provider premise, with the filter being installed on the input to the first splitter, to which the cable provider's incoming line connects.

Exactly how you'd set it up is undetermined as you haven't said anything about the coax connection coming into the Roamio Plus, or whether a coax run to the Mini is available.

5. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Something along the lines of one of these 2 configs *may* work (though I haven't done it so can't personally vouch)...

upload_2016-12-18_0-20-30.png

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  6. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. Some solution with a wireless connection between the rooms could possibly work, just not the way you'd originally proposed -- or at least how I understood what you were proposing. If one Nano can establish the connection to the campground Wi-Fi *and* act as the WLAN access point for the 2nd Nano, then it *might* work, but your success will depend on the wireless bandwidth and connection stability between the Nanos. Plenty of people are successfully using a wireless connection for streaming between TiVos, in place of the officially required wired connection, but much depends on the quality of the wireless gear selected.

upload_2016-12-18_19-55-32.png

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  7. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Thanks again so much for your detailed responses!

Since I do have coax drops at each location I'm going to try the MoCa route. I need to pick up the POE filter today to place at the entry point of the 5th. wheel. Amazon has a couple different options but I'm not sure if the cheaper one would work? Any thoughts on which I should choose?

This one for $7.99
    or
    This one for $15.99

Again, thank you for your help!

8. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Also, I just read this statement on a blog which now concerns me and my setup. Maybe he has his Tivo set up incorrectly?

"One final odd behavior I found was that once you set up a TiVo Roamio to function as a MoCA server, it will refuse to use WiFi for anything, including simply connecting back to the TiVo service for updates (which are otherwise fine over WiFi connections)."

I will need the wi-fi capabilities of the Roamio to get my guide data at each campground. One solution (if the quoted statement is true?) would be to download my guide data immediately when I arrive at a campground then set up the Roamio / Mini for Moca. Keep in mind, the Roamio I use for camping is also used at home in my Master Bedroom. At home, the Roamio is set up on a Ethernet wired network. Actually, the network is wired but this Roamio accesses wirelessly. So, what happens when I return back home? Rerun set up / configuration each time? Man, this is starting to sound like a lot of hassle just to get separate recorded shows / live TV in a bedroom camper. LOL. :) Seriously, thanks!

9. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    After giving the wi-fi concern some thought the author's situation shouldn't apply to mine. Since I'm using the Travel Router to access guide data and the Roamio is connected by ethernet patch cable the Moca connection shouldn't matter. I think? Lol

10. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    That described behavior is correct, as I'd mentioned above...

Which is where the Nano travel router you'd mentioned comes in...

11. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct! Both the Roamio Plus and the Mini will be connecting to the TiVo mothership over that Ethernet connection between the Plus & Nano, and the Nano's wireless connection to the campground Wi-Fi. (The Mini will just have that extra MoCA segment to traverse to get to the Ethernet connection.)

12. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    And you should be able to test it all at home, I'd think, just substituting your home Wi-Fi network for the campground's when configuring the Nano.

13. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Definitely not THAT one, since it's a splitter, not a MoCA filter.

Any of the following should work...

And any 2-way cable splitter rated to 1002 MHz should work, as well, but the Holland MoCA 2.0 model is an option if you're already placing an order:

14. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Sorry about the splitter... Wrong link. Crossed-eyed at this point. :)

I ordered everything including the first POE filter you recommended. I will test this setup on the inaugural 5th. wheel trip later next week and report back. I truly appreciate all your help KR! Merry Christmas to you and your's.

Jim
    <><

15. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    As I mentioned above, *IF* you have the time before the trip and can afford a short recording outage on your Roamio Plus, I'd recommend giving the setup a try at home, using your home Wi-Fi network as a substitute for the campground's -- both as a test and to ensure both devices, especially the Mini, are fully up-to-date. Software updates and initial setup over the campground Wi-Fi would be rough.

Re: home testing...

Once the Nano has established a connection to your Wi-Fi network, verified with a laptop(?), you could connect the Roamio Plus via Ethernet to the Nano and reconfigure the Plus for an Ethernet connection -- and then test the Plus' connectivity to the mothership.

As for the Mini, to simplify, the Roamio Plus wouldn't need to have a live cable TV signal for the purposes of the test: you could just connect a Mini directly via coax to the Roamio Plus to enable the Mini's MoCA connection. Enable the MoCA network on the Plus, and then try configuring the Mini as a MoCA client, using the "Connect using MoCA" option.

When the Mini's MoCA connection is established:
    • Force a manual TiVo service connection (and allow it to complete); lather, rinse, repeat if it's a new Mini and needs to update.
    • Select a previously recorded show from the Plus' 'My Shows' listing and test playback. (Obviously, with the Plus' coax connection to the TV provider severed you wouldn't be able to test live TV playback, but the bandwidth requirements would be the same as for playback of recorded material, so it's not a problem.)

Thanks, and same. Happy to be of theoretical help; just hope the reality maps to the plan. Fingers crossed.

16. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    SUCCESS~SUCCESS~SUCCESS!!!

Thank you so much KR! I would have never figured this out without your tremendous help.

Everything is working on my test connection at home and currently downloading updates from Tivo. I'll give you an update from the campground later next week once I test the MoCa connection throughout the RV. There's no telling if there's an inferior splitter, etc. hidden behind a wall that may hinder connection? Unfortunately, getting access to a troublesome splitter, etc. in the 5th. wheel may prove difficult at best. However, I'm a glass-half-full guy and anticipate no troubles (finger's crossed) :)

For my fellow RV'er's looking to hook up a Tivo / Mini setup in your RV be sure to read through this thread and follow the diagram (thanks KR) for MoCa setup.

[​IMG]

Again, truly appreciate your kind help KR! Merry Christmas.

Stay tuned...

17. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct. But having tested the setup at home should help focus the campground troubleshooting...

... and let you get back to draining the rest of that glass.

Good luck!

18. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Probably could add a few more variations for setups where the DVR lacks built-in MoCA or is tuning OTA rather than a cable signal.

Whatever the TiVo equipment involved, I'd think the Nano with 2 Ethernet ports (for just $5 more) would be the way to go, to maximize flexibility. (Otherwise an additional Ethernet switch might also need to be thrown into the mix.)

19. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Great points KR. One last question... I'm now out in the RV hooking up the Mini and Roamio Plus. Will I be able to test if MoCa will work without an active internet connection? I don't have enough wi-fi signal from the house to reach the RV. I have an adapter coming tomorrow to hopefully extend the house's wi-fi reach but would like to test MoCa in the RV today if possible?