1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Mini AC Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Luckyluc, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Luckyluc

Luckyluc New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    I need to get if possible a longer AC Adapter for my Tivo Mini. The position of my TV is about 15 feet away from an outlet (older home) where the Tivo can be installed.
    Anyone know of a place to locate a longer AC Adapter?

2. sangs

sangs Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Why not just plug it into an extension cord? That's what I did.

3. Luckyluc

Luckyluc New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Not an option where things are located. Just looking to see if anyone has experience with this as I cannot be the first.

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Purchase some color coded zip wire, 18 gage is big enough, and splice the cable going to the Mini with this cable, just make sure you keep the polarity correct.

5. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    That sounds like a good way to burn your house down if you don't know what you are doing.

6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Purchase some color coded zip wire, 18 gage is big enough, and splice the cable going to the Mini with this cable, just make sure you keep the polarity correct.

If you don't know what your doing the extension cord is the way to go but the OP said he could not use one. The VA on the low side of the power brick is not enough power to burn your home down unless you spark the wires near gasoline or such.
    If you can't change a light switch without calling an electrician then by all means call one for this job.

7. sangs

sangs Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm perplexed as to why an extension cord would not work. Either way in this scenario an extension of SOME type of cord is going to come into play. It has to.

8. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Longer HDMI Cable and leave the mini away from the TV?

9. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Extension cords are always an option, you just haven't figured out how to do it. After all you have to run the Mini cord to an outlet, so not following how extending that makes any difference. There are zillions of different types of extensions, go to a store and find one that works.

10. Luckyluc

Luckyluc New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Wow ask a question and definitely get responses. Figured I would ask here as again from a search on older posts its been asked before but wasn't quite expecting some basically telling me what I can and can't do.

Older home with no outlets within 16 feet of the TV location (above a fireplace) that has a wall runner. Coax cable and extension cord combined in wall runner ... the wall runner pops off... the wall runner also doesn't have an out anywhere other than the 2 ends so can't run and just drop it out.

Tried once before for a different project. I am researching getting longer hdmi to attack that way...

Again just thought I would ask. Thanks for the input all!

11. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    So if the wall runner " pops off" can't you just run like a 20 foot extension cord? Or am I picturing it wrong and is it a solid tube?

12. sangs

sangs Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Don't take it the wrong way, it's just that you said an extension cord wasn't an option and left it at that. Had you included this explanation in the first reply, the confusion would have been cleared up then and there. Sorry to have upset you.

13. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If you were really so inclined, you could make a DC extension cable out of some barrel jack parts, making sure to get the polarity right (easy to test), but that's probably overkill.

Or you could get a thinner AC extension cord. HDMI cable is probably the best option though.

14. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    If the op was serious , they would use an extension cord -- not really looking for an answer

15. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Exactly, he just doesn't want to go to a store and find the right cord.