1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Mini 2-tuner loophole? Post info here

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by mr_smits, Mar 21, 2013.

1. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    It's been reported that you can buy a 4 tuner Tivo, connect a Mini to it, then disconnect the 4 tuner Tivo to gain the capability of using the Mini in a household of 2 tuner Premieres. I'm soon to be OTA only, and I have two 2-tuner Premieres and an TivoHD lifetimed. Using the Mini for streaming from 2 tuner boxes is of interest to me.

1. Have you tried it?
    2. If you did, how long have you had the 4 tuner Tivo disconnected?
    3. Besides not being able to hijack a tuner to watch live tv, have you noticed any issues?

2. teklock

teklock New Member

Sep 11, 2012
    omg, not another lets see how we can **** Tivo/BB until they change their 2 tuner policy thread.

3. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    If you can't be helpful, don't post.

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The problem is that just disconnection the 4 tuner TiVo from your network may not show what you want, you would have to remove the 4 tuner TiVo from your TiVo account before one would know if this so called loophole worked.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I agree with Less - I also want to add another thought.

For this to work, we would have to assume that their is no parent child relationship between the DVR and the Mini.

I suspect that the TiVo paired with the Mini also provides some level of control / information sharing with the Mini. Disconnecting the paired TiVo might work for a specific period of time, but eventually the Mini is going to want to poll the parent for some type of information.

This is when you would start to see error messages.

6. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    This is THE big question. Does anyone know? Would official Tivo folks be willing to state definitively that this will only work for X amount of time?

7. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    This is the song that never ends.
    It just goes on and on my friends.
    Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
    And they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .

8. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    I know that when I disconnect my four tuner, I get the nag screen, EACH time that I access my two tuner, with my Mini. It's not that big of a deal for me, but....maybe others.

I posted the screens, in another thread. Also, I had my boxes "phone home" and I could still access the two tuner.

I have had my four tuner for some time, so it has been attached to my account for a while, if that matters.

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If somebody wants to invest in this non supported TiVo Mini use, the so call called loophole, be my guest and report back, but continuing speculation will get us nowhere.

11. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    See this post I made earlier.................

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9582557#post9582557

12. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    The nag screens don't bother me, and the guide data, while interesting, isn't needed for my scenario. I understand that the Mini cannot use live tv on a 2 tuner box. I'm just looking for a box to stream recorded content from my 2 tuner Premiere boxes.

13. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    While I agree that Tivo not allowing the 2 tuner Premiere is complete BS.... I don't see the reason to do something that is not supported... even if it did work you have the potential to throw $250 out the door eventually. That's not something that I'm interested in.

14. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I have a need for a Mini in a room that I don't require live TV. Streaming from 2 tuner boxes is enough for me.

If I have a lifetimed Mini, I can always sell it if it stops working as a 2 tuner box extender. The value doesn't go to zero if Tivo closes the loophole.

15. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep but it's not $250 either.

16. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    You're right. It's probably at least $260 since it is a new product.

17. Saxion

Saxion Substantive Member

Sep 17, 2006
    San Diego
    This is a very interesting thread, thanks for starting it. There is a lot of interest in only streaming prerecorded shows from a 2-tuner Premiere.

18. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    This is really a temporary solution for me until Tivo releases their next >2 tuner box that supports OTA and hopefully streaming to tablets.

19. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    doubtful. unless you are meaning that it will cost you more than $250 for it to begin with.

20. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Probably worth at least $270 (paid $250).