1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo manners

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by therealshell, Oct 10, 2013.

1. therealshell

therealshell New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Asked a simple TiVo question and got a spiteful response.

Some people.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    To you it's a simple TiVo question, because you knew what you meant.

To others, we're trying to figure out what you meant, because it wasn't as clear to us (and perhaps because we're aware of more possible variables than you considered), so as to try to help you (and others who may read that thread in the future searching for answers to their own questions).

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    At the risk of further ruffling your feathers, when you post regarding another thread you should give a link to that thread (so readers have some idea what you're talking about). I had to search your other posts to determine you must be referring to this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=510021

After reviewing that thread I can only echo unitron's post above. I really don't see anyone being mean there. I'm surprised a "Hell Boy" fan would be so sensitive! ;)

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I didn't see anyone being "mean" in that thread, just trying to explain what they actually needed to help you. If you are going to be that thin skinned, maybe you should stay off of the internet.

5. therealshell

therealshell New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Great advice. I can't say that I'll heed it, though:D

6. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    There are some really mean people on these forums, but most are nice, and many spend a lot of time helping people out on problems.

I don't know why they don't kick the perpetually mean people out.
    I didn't look up the particular time you were referring to.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, if you're sufficiently thick-skinned, or too stubborn to be run off, like me on certain sites having nothing to do with TiVo, go back to the original thread and read and respond to my answer so we can see if we can find a way to deal with your original hardware problem once we figure out what it is.

8. jj2me

jj2me New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I'm a noob here, but I gotta insert this laugh I had in the short thread linked below (sorry, I don't have enough posts yet to add links, you'll have to copy-paste into your browser if you actually want to check that I've copied properly below):
    tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=483742

Post #4:
    unitron: "Does WinMFS crash as soon as you try to select the original TiVo drive?"

Post #15:
    unitron: "Is it crashing WinMFS as soon as you click select drive and try to choose it"

Post #19:
    unitron: "So WinMFS is crashing when you click select drive?"

Finally, he got an answer in Post #20. I was laughing at unitron's incredibly patient persistence in trying to get the complainer to focus on facts. Who could ask for a more polite response in the face of someone not listening?

That seems like what happened here. Paraphrasing:
    "I have a series 2 TiVo."
    "Is your series 2 a DirectTiVO?"
    "I have a TiVo series 2."
    "We know that. Is it a DirectTiVo? Or give us the model."

Sounded polite to me. Even gave the OP the option to provide the model number, in case he was not knowledgeable enough to know whether it was a DirecTiVo. Sort of providing face-saving.

What's mean about that?

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Because "perpetually mean" is an arbitrary standard that is defined differently in the eyes of each beholder. You and I might decide each other are "mean" just because we don't agree with each other on this very question. I think "they" are moderating this forum very well. Please don't be mean and disagree with me any further! :D