1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo MAC address

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by stickmanftw, Sep 12, 2009.

1. stickmanftw

stickmanftw New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm using a Tivo Series 2 and a wired ethernet to USB adapter. I need to register the Tivo with my school's IT center using the MAC address to access the interent. The problem is I can't get the MAC address from the Phone/Network page because I need to connect to the internet to get through the Guided Setup. So is there a way for me to find the MAC address before going through the Guided Setup? I can't seem to find it on the outside of the Tivo, and I don't think the USB adapter has its own MAC address.

2. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    The MAC address isn't on the TiVo model you have. It is on the USB adapter in your case.

- Bob

3. stickmanftw

stickmanftw New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I thought the adapter had a MAC address only if it was wireless. I can't find it on the adapter or in any of the documentation. It is an SMC 2208 USB-Ethernet adapter.

4. alansh

alansh New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    No, all network adapters have a MAC address. Normally there'll be a label with the model, serial, and MAC address printed on it.

If you still can't find it, can you temporarily hook it to a phone line and complete guided setup that way?

5. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    Alternatively, you could possibly connect the adapter you have to a computer and install the driver for it -- and get the MAC address that way

- Bob

6. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Or you could wire the TiVo & Adapter to a router that you can access - the router status will tell you the adapter's MAC address.

7. lafos

lafos Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If it's connected to the TiVo, the network status screen should give the MAC address

8. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Sounds like the OP is stuck in GS and can't get to the network status screen.

9. lafos

lafos Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Oops, missed that. Sorry.

There should be a label on the adapter with digits formatted as xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx (six pairs), along with the FCC registration number. Might need a magnifying glass to read it. Unless the adapter is used and the label is gone, it is required to be there.

10. stickmanftw

stickmanftw New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for all the help, connecting it to my computer to get the MAC address worked perfectly.