1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Lifetime Subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pvorlicek, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1 of 35
    pvorlicek

pvorlicek New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a lifetime subscription. My biggest concern is "what happens if my unit fails". I read the terms and conditions form the TiVo web site regarding this issue:

"Because a Product Lifetime Subscription is linked to a particular TiVo DVR, you may not transfer it to any other TiVo DVR unless all the following conditions apply: (a) the TiVo DVR is being replaced pursuant to the manufacturer's or retailer's warranty; and (b) the TiVo DVR being replaced is of the same make and model as the replacement TiVo DVR; and (c) you provide us with a proof of replacement by the manufacturer or retailer. TiVo reserves the right to charge you a fee to transfer Product Lifetime Service from a TiVo DVR being replaced to a replacement TiVo DVR."

I'm comfortable with all of this EXCEPT the phrase "TiVo reserves the right to charge you a fee to transfer Product Lifetime Service from a TiVo DVR being replaced to a replacement TiVo DVR."

Does anybody know if TiVo is currently charging this fee (if I had my unit replaced by TiVo)? If yes, how much are they currently charging for this?

Thanks for any information on this matter.

Preston

2. Apr 9, 2009 #2 of 35
    LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Yes, TiVo normally charges a fee when you send in a unit to be fixed. If they can't repair it they will usually replace it with a similar unit and transfer your lifetime. However, the most common TiVo failures (hard drive, fan, etc) can be fixed fairly easily and much more cheaply than sending it back to TiVo. I have 3 TiVos ranging in age from 2 years to almost 10 years and have never had to send one to TiVo to get it fixed.

3. Apr 9, 2009 #3 of 35
    SueAnn

SueAnn Minion

Oct 23, 2004
    St Charles,...
    My 2+ year old Tivo Series 3 starting having difficulty and Tivo sold me a refurb unit which included transferring over the lifetime warranty for $149.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #4 of 35
    pvorlicek

pvorlicek New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks!

I'll pull the trigger tonight.

Preston

5. Apr 9, 2009 #5 of 35
    NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    For your peace of mind: I've had my Humax (Lifetime) since 2004 with an upgraded Weaknees drive - No Problems.
    Lifetime was NOT available when I bought my second TiVo also Weaknees upgraded again no problems. When that 3 year sub runs I'll have to decide what to do. (FYI the 3 year sub cost me $299 at that time.)
    When I bought the TiVoHD I immediately got Lifetime since it was available.
    Most of the problems that occur with the TiVos after they have been running for a while seems to be HD related which is one of the easier DYI fixes.

6. Apr 9, 2009 #6 of 35
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    TiVo never fixes and returns your TiVo. They always send out a refurb as a replacement unless they have no refurb's, then they'll send a new unit.

7. Apr 9, 2009 #7 of 35
    mp11

mp11 New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Did I read correctly that a lifetime on a new Tivo has to come within 30 days of activation? I thought I also read, if Tivo comes out with a new product, lifetime could be transfered to that one. Maybe that was wrong.

8. Apr 9, 2009 #8 of 35
    pdonoghu

pdonoghu New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    A Tivo subscription is a minimum of one year, longer plans are available. If you sign up for a 1 (or 3) year plan, you can cancel or change the plan within the first 30 days. Say you wanted to get a lifetime subscription. Once past the 30 days, you can still get lifetime, after your initial commitment is up. So if you sign up for a one year plan at $12.95/month, and decide in month two, you want lifetime, you still have to finish out the initial 12 month commitment, and can then buy a lifetime subscription. By then, you will have already paid Tivo $155.40, no credit for this against the lifetime.

There is no standing transfer of lifetime when Tivo comes out with a new model. They have offered this in the past, for a fee, as a special promotion when new hardware came out. I think is was $199 last time. Since new lifetime subscriptions were not available during the last offer, this was the only way to transfer an existing lifetime sub. Since lifetime subs are available to existing Tivo subscribers for $299, my guess is Tivo won't offer lifetime transfers. At the current pricing, you could pay $100 more for a new lifetime, and keep the lifetime on the existing Tivo, or sell the existing Tivo with the lifetime sub for a higher value.

9. Apr 9, 2009 #9 of 35
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You and NJ_HB have the same experience.:D

10. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    It was $299 for a one time until the end of the year deal to transfer from a Series 1 when the Series 3 came out. That was over the $299 I paid for lifetime in the first place, so I paid $600 for lifetime on my one TiVo when I could have had lifetime on two now. (An additional lifetime is now $299.) Admittedly I would have had the new Series 3 on some other sub in the meantime, but the truth is I wouldn't have bought the S3 when I did if it wasn't for the deal. I didn't have an HDTV for many years afterwards. :eek:

A added one year sub is $99, auto-renewing, for a current subscriber with one year commit and is transferable. I dunno if that could be applied to a bump to lifetime during the year, but that would be nice.

11. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I bought a TiVoHD 3 weeks ago, i have a chance to pick up a series 2 with a lifetime sub for 80 bucks. When i activated my TiVoHD I prepaid for a years service. Would it be worth my effort to buy the series 2 with a lifetime sub to have the sub transfered to my TiVoHD?

12. Glich

Glich New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    so worth it. I am going on my 10th year on my $250 life time now on a Tivo HD after my s1 finally expired.

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    There's no way the transfer of a lifetime sub could happen, so no, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Netringer,

The original lifetime transfer deal was only $199 (plus 1 year free service on the old unit) when the Series 3 first came out as I took advantage of it for both of my Series 1 units.

Also, we only paid $199 for the lifetime for our first Series 1 (June 2000) and $249 for lifetime on our second Series 2 (May 2002). Are you sure you paid $299 for lifetime on a Series 1? I didn't think they went to that price until the Series 2 was out.

Scott

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You cannot transfer the sub (at least not at this time).
    What you can do is buy the Series 2 with PL and put it on your account. When the year is up on the TiVo HD, you can cancel it and get the discounted Product Lifetime ($299).

16. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Don't feel bad...I still don't have an HDTV.:p

17. mp11

mp11 New Member

Jan 29, 2008

18. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    That is for lifetime on another unit. Of course, you could get lifetime on another unit and then sell your existing one after its subscription expires.

You've probably noticed people selling lifetime subscriptions on ebay for $330. These are existing TiVo owners that are buying lifetime for $299 and activating DVRs for new customers, thereby robbing TiVo of $100.

19. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    :D Maybe you're right. I forgot that service was only $6(?) a month in those days.

Thanks I feel better now.

(Disregard some of my rants.)

I'm still debating adding a year or lifetime to a Series 2. I have a feeling a lot of Series 2 with lifetime are going to show up on eBay come June 12.

20. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    As long as we're on the topic, how is this possible?

I bought a Series 2 with lifetime from a seller on eBay. I look at System Information and it does indeed say "Product Lifetime Service." I ran guided setup and let it dial in and...

....can you guess?

It says "New service. Call TiVo at 800-nnn-nnn to activate."

I called Tivo to clear up this misunderstanding and add my new pride and joy to my account. The CSR says they never heard of this unit. I gave the TSN 4 times.

So...other than some slick seller selling a unit that lifetime service was transferred from (is that even possible from a Series 2?) how can this be? Is there a hack to make the Tivo look like it has lifetime? (NO, I'm not looking for the hack) This unit looked very unhacked.

The good news is my seller was good in communication and is as surprised as me and is offering a refund. I might just be out some shipping.