1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo iOS App can be convinced to stream live TV over cellular in 2013, here's how

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tinkererguy, Oct 30, 2013.

1. tinkererguy

tinkererguy New Member

May 13, 2002
    To watch a live stream from your Roamio, there is a (clumsy) way to get it going:

If you're not after a live program, it's admittedly easier to forget about my workaround and just download what you're trying to watch over cellular, using bradley's method:
    Whichever way you choose, you'll want to keep a close eye on your data usage!

2. lickwid

lickwid New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Neat trick, but it doesn't appear it'd work for users on grandfathered unlimited plans. Hotspot feature doesn't work. I've done the workaround mentioned in Bradley's method and it works fine. Obviously there's a delay, but works well enough even for live sports.
  3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    yeah - I did the same thing with a friends MI-FI system. Actually, once you get it started you can walk away and your LTE connection will continue to work.

All you need to do is borrow a WIFI signal to initiate the stream.

As for the work around I documented, I would really like to know the difference in data usage between streaming and downloading.