1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo intro animation clip?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by crxssi, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2011 #1 of 94
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I have never seen this happen before... I came home from work today, turned on the amp and the tv, noticed it was recording two programs (two red leds), and pressed the left arrow button before the TV was finished coming on. A second later when it came on, I was greeted by the TiVo intro clip animation.

Did my TiVo reboot on its own between last night and now and was waiting for me to press a key? I checked my version, it is 14.8.U2-01-3-746. I don't know what it was before today, did it just change? It doesn't look newer than what others are reporting. I got the U2 something update on 06-01-2011 (I didn't write down the entire version number).

I don't think there is an "up time" counter anywhere that I could find, so I don't think there is any way I can know if it rebooted. And there are no messages (and never are after an update, that I have ever seen), so there is no way to know if my version changed.

Strange...

2. Jun 8, 2011 #2 of 94
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Try looking under Account & System Information / DVR Diagnostics*.
    Page down to the last page and look for the line 'Time Since OOB Tune Start'. This will give you an approximate time since the last reboot in seconds. You will have to calculate the hours/days/weeks from that.

*This is how you find it with the TivoHD, I think the Premiere is similar.

3. Jun 8, 2011 #3 of 94
    HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    I don't know where you are located could there of been a power outage? I know here in Michigan there have been several power disruptions due to the high temperatures today.

If the DVR rebooted another tell-tail sign is the pointer in the menus would be reset to the top of the menu.

Or you may of unknowingly hit the '0' button on your remote when in TiVo Central pressing '0' plays the intro.

4. Jun 8, 2011 #4 of 94
    WrathWielder

WrathWielder New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    It probably wasn't your power...

My Premier started doing that a few days ago - I'd hit the left-arrow and up would come the animation. I figured I must have received an OS update or something.
    Then it happened the next day as well.
    I thought maybe it repeated because I didn't let it finish playing the previous day...so I watched the whole thing...that didn't help.
    The next day (yesterday) it did it one more time.
    Until I saw your message I thought maybe I had to switch off a new "intro" option or something that came with the latest update...

Tonight it didn't do it, so maybe things (updates) have settled down :)

-Greg

5. Jun 9, 2011 #5 of 94
    rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    Ohh, a great use for Wolfram! In my case:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=how+long+ago+was+556971+seconds

BTW, since the S2 I can always tell a reboot has occurred by the behavior of the SP manager. Since I make little tweaks to various season passes each week the list will "stick" to the last SP I was editing when I back out to the main list of season passes. If a reboot has occurred and I scroll down a few pages, enter a season pass without and editing it then back out of it to the main list it will always go to the top of the season pass list instead of the one I was in. On the flip side if I edit lets say Season Pass #20 by adding or deleting some shows then back out to the main list then every time I come back to the SP Manager it will be where I left off until a reboot has occurred. If there was a reboot it would be at SP #1. The only other thing I can think of that would cause the animation to occur is if you changed from SDUI to HDUI or the other way around or I guess if the system went ahead and did that for you for some strange reason. Also there is a SPS code to show the animation. Got cats that like playing with your remote? :)

6. Jun 9, 2011 #6 of 94
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    This is a new "feature" of 14.8. Periodically I get the intro video even though the unit has not rebooted. (I can tell right away if there has been a reboot since my beloved S-P-S-P-S feature resets).

It's TiVo Premiere's way of keeping you guessing - I always wonder when I sit down to watch one of my Premieres if when I press the TiVo button either it won't respond to remote control at all or it will give me the intro video or even more shockingly just work like it is supposed to.

7. Jun 9, 2011 #7 of 94
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Great info! 586974 = 163 hours ago from now = almost 7 days ago. So it was not rebooted or restarted (I didn't think it was). So the mystery continues, but at least with more info.

8. Jun 9, 2011 #8 of 94
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Nope- was in SDUI, still in SDUI.

My cats love playing with things, but not the remote.... and had they, it would have been on the floor for sure, which is was not. Mystery!!!

9. Jun 9, 2011 #9 of 94
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yep, I am beginning to think based on my experience and others posted here that this is another ANOTHER new software bug. Just what I needed, a new bug being added to the "Does not respond to remote" bug (just like you).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=456559

10. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I dont understand the big issue. Just hit the tivo button right away and skip the cartoon.
    You probably already have the remote in right your hand.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    The issue is that it is not normal and indicates there is yet something else now "wrong" with the Premiere. It is far more disturbing than problematic.

12. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    There is no big issue its just discussion. This is a message board concerning everything Tivo related including anything unusual or trending in that direction. So perhaps he hits the button as you suggest and it never happens again. Or, on the other hand, hundreds of users suddenly notice the same thing. Then it is a big issue right? I don't think there is any topic too large or small here as any tidbit of information can help many people and even Tivo itself. It wouldn't hurt you a bit to leave the topic alone if you find it irrelevant. Or, perhaps the issue will affect you every single time you use your Tivo now but people here will not want to help you now. Your comment, according to the rules seems to fall under "Don’t post “flame-bait” – That is a post just to provoke a reaction from other members. Those type of posts will be removed. "

See:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumrules.html

13. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mine did this today. I'm glad it's not just me. It seems like a bug - why would I want to keep seeing it?

14. robby818

robby818 New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    All four of my Premieres have been doing this since the last update (14.8). I've seen this movie at least four or five times on the bedroom tivo. I also experienced my first remote control lockup on one of my Tivos while watching a recorded program (Lemans) today.

15. ecoblue

ecoblue New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    My two are doing it as well.

16. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    I feel left out because a new Tivo bug has been around a few days and hasn't happened to me yet.

17. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I don't see the initial videos, but the Premiere tours keep coming back down. One of my TiVos has a folder with 3 copies of each video.

18. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    I'm in the same boat here. I have deleted the tour videos a few times, the most recent on Friday I think.

19. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    I'm seeing the animation at least every other day, randomly when I hit the home button. I'm guessing this is a placeholder for a new ad placement :eek:

I'm also getting the TiVo welcome videos, but I think that only happens after I get an OS update (had 2 of those recently).

20. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Really? that's where you're going with this? talk about being pessimistic.