1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Instead of Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Laff, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Laff

Laff New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I'm tired of the constant rising cost of cable TV and I'm researching ways to find an alternative source. Tivo, from what I am reading, may be the best I've seen thus far. But I have many questions that I have been unable to find answers too:
    1 - Can I really get rid of my cable company with the purchase of Tivo and still be able to watch local, national TV programs, NHL (Center Ice), NFL, MLB, college sports?

2 - If I am able to do question 1 (above), would I incur additional cost such as Center Ice, which cost me $160 a season through my cable provider (COX)?

I have many more questions but I will just ask only these two for now and see how well this goes. Thanks for all replies!! :)
  2. jbernardis

jbernardis New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    If you do not take cable service, the only stations you will be able to pull in with your tivo are over the air channels. NHL Center Ice, NFL, MLB, and all of the traditional national cable channels (ESPN, Discovery, etc) all require cable.

You will not need your cable BOX necessarily, but you will still need cable service.
  3. Laff

Laff New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    OK...So could I obtain these programs if I purchase a "cable card only" from my cable provider and not have to pay for those programs through Tivo? Thanks for your reply. :)
  4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    A CableCard is simply an access card that plugs into the front of the TiVo. It authorizes all of the channels that you would normally get through the cable company. All [digital] cable providers are required to supply CableCards upon request.

In effect, a TivoHD with a CableCard replaces the cable company STB/DVR. But you'll still have to pay the cable company for the channels you want.
  5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo is not a TV Service but it is merely a recording device for video and audio.

This is in fact a disclaimer for Tivo.

You can watch TV with or without a Tivo, but you cannot watch TV without a source.

Cable is a paid TV source, antenna is a free source.

Tivo has a Tivo Service attached to the devices, BUT, it is not for providing source of TV Service. What it is, service that provides TV guide data for programs, features and services designed for the Tivo. The video on demand the Tivo has is pulled from a source on the internet
  6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    To use a TiVo for anything you have to subscribe to the TiVo service, which provides Guide data and enables TiVo functions. Example: $129 per year.
  7. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    You will only be able to get local sports. If that is enough than yes you can ditch sat/cable. My setup is a Basic outdoor antenna hooked to a TivoHD. 95% of TV i watch is on the networks. The rest i use a headless MacBook running plex with will run media from my media server or online services such as Hulu. $129/year for all my TV is fine by me!
  8. Adam1115

Adam1115 20,000!!!

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    With the exception of Netflix, Amazon, and certain other internet delivered content...
  9. flaminio

flaminio New Member

May 21, 2004
    Between the VOD stuff and the ability to transfer video from computer to TiVo, I wonder how many people are using their TiVos without any signal source at all? Even without a signal it'd still be a tremendously useful box.
  10. jbernardis

jbernardis New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Agreed, but you'd still have to pay for monthly service. I don't know if I could justify the monthly fee, or even the lifetime fee, just to have access to the broadband features.
  11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You don't purchase a Cablecard, at least form most providers. You can only rent them as aprt of digital cable package, and you need to pay your provider for the services/channels you wish to receive.

The TiVo service is only the TiVo service, no channels/content. That comes form your cable provider, antenna, or online providers.

Bottom line, you still need to subscribe tot he programing you want, unless all you want it broadcast stations, which you can cancel cable and get an antenna.
    TiVo is a DVR service that records TV you already receive, no an alternative to it.
  12. net114

net114 Tivolitic Guru

Dec 29, 2000
    It sounds like you will still need 1. your cable service 2. cable cards (2)

Call your cable company and find out what the lowest cable service is you can get and still be able to get the exact channels you want. That's what I did and lowered my bill almost $100 a month. (I bought a second TivoHD, and ditched three cable boxes).