1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo in Cabinet

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bdspilot, Aug 27, 2013.

1. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I have a Tivo Premiere in a cabinet and it runs abou 43c vs 35c for the one that is not in a cabinet.

Does anyone have there Roamio in a Cabinet and how hot does it run? Do you think there are any issues with this?

2. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    48 on mine and my Premiere ran at that temp for 3 years with no issues.

3. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Was yours in a cabinet?

4. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    48 on my Roamio and it's out in the open by itself on a top shelf.
    My Premiere XL out in the open by itself on the shelf below is at 36.

5. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    sounds like they run hot

6. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Where is the temp reading? Mine is in a cubby hole, but the back is about 30% open and the front is 100% open with several inches above and on each side.

7. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    The thermocouple is in the box on the motherboard. Granted, with the smaller form factor of the base Roamio the thermocouple may be located at a position on the board closer to the CPU than where it is in the Premiere, which could account for some of the temperature difference. The most important comparison would be the relative temps of the CPUs and relation to their maximum temperature specs (and relative temps of the hard drives), but there's no way to know that for sure without rigging up something in the box.

8. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Settings& messages>account and system info>system information
    about 3 pages down look for MBT:

9. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    Yes, was and is. Closed in back and the front door has some black material over it to allow for some airflow but to also allow for remotes to work to control the older Premiere and my Oppo Blu-ray player.

10. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Thanks, MBT was throwing me off. I remember my Series 3 running around 48c, my Premier was around 50c, and this Roamio right now is 46c.

115 degrees is not bad by my DVR experience.

[​IMG]

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I have an Elite and an S3 in a cabinet with the doors closed. Along with a UPS and a DVD player. The Elite runs at 43. Been running for a couple years now, I think.

12. sterfry

sterfry New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Belmont, NC
    My Roamio MBT is 43 C on an open shelf. The top of the chassis is 87 degrees F / 32 C on the hard drive side and 102 degrees F / 39 C on the motherboard side using an IR thermometer.

13. ncbill

ncbill Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    I didn't measure the temperature, but noticed before it failed my Roamio was running much warmer than the Premiere it replaced (on a "VCR" shelf in an entertainment center above the TV)

14. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Roamio Basic with 2TB WD drive sitting on open shelf - 43

15. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Your Roamio failed already? Was it a Basic?

16. ncbill

ncbill Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    Yes, it was but another poster with a Plus reported the same failure mode I saw (on startup cycles back and forth between the Welcome screen & no video)

Mine failed less than 24 hours after it was setup, IIRC the Plus owner's Roamio never worked.

Hope it's something simple like a bad batch of hard drives...