1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo HD XL Dieing - Upgrade not an option!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by drhoads, Jan 23, 2013.

1. drhoads

drhoads New Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I bought two (2) TiVo TCD658000 HD XL (150 hours HD) in 2009 and now they are both rebooting and hanging on boot up with a gray screen. I was going to upgrade to the new Premiere just to find out that TiVo no longer supports ATSC over the air. It's now cable only? I went with TiVo to get away from the cable companies! Who was the stupid idiot that decided to get in bed with the cable companies at TiVo?

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The 2-tuner Premiere still offers OTA support. It's only the 4-tuner models that are digital cable only.

3. drhoads

drhoads New Member

Apr 2, 2009
    But it's half the hours (75) and the units I have are THX Certified.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    The newest 4-tuner Premieres support only digital cable, but the original 2-tuner Premiere and the (now discontinued?) 2-tuner Premiere XL support OTA and analog. But before you give up on your old units, search for "capacitor plague" in various threads here. And if your problems aren't in the power supplies, they're probably caused by failing hard drives, which can also be replaced. Do some reading.

5. drhoads

drhoads New Member

Apr 2, 2009
    The caps look good and I did create the images using WinMFS when I first got the units. I have restored the images to the same hard drives a couple of times and they work fine for a short time. Sometimes days, sometimes weeks. Is this as simple as buying new WD green hard drives and restoring the image to the new drives or is it more involved in creating new partition, etc. before restoring the images to the new hard drives?

Thanks

6. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I upgraded one TiVo HD using (as I recall) the older WinMFS method. You should get a reply from someone with more TiVo HD upgrade experience. I doubt that just doing everything again using a WD Green drive will make much difference. For the record, you are in the TiVo Premiere area; it might be better to post something in the Series3 area.

7. billbillw

billbillw Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Atlanta
    I would take your drives out and test them on a PC using Western Digital tools. Use WD's boot disk so that your PC doesn't try to mount the disks. If it finds errors, you might be able to fix the errors by writing zeros to the entire disk, then reload your WinMFS backup. If they can't be fixed, just get some new 1TB drives. They are going cheap these days. I would probably spend a little more and get the AV-GP disk vs the standard Green Power discs. The AV-GP are tailored for DVRs.

Yes, you will get much more help in the S3 section.

8. drhoads

drhoads New Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks for the tip!