1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo HD with 1T Expander reboots daily.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by wineguru, May 3, 2012.

1. wineguru

wineguru New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    BOSTON,MA
    My Tivo HD, with 1T Expander, reboots itself 2 or 3 times a day. It started about a month ago. Had the unit for couple of years without problem.

Tried to get into the Kickstart menu but pressing and holding pause at boot doesn't get me there so I can't run the test.

Hate to have to call support and spend an hour doing all the things I've done ten times over. I have the extended warranty so I should be covered, just a pain.

Ideas?

Tony.

2. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    My first assumption is that the 1TB Expander is dying.

3. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    if you are willing to loose your recordings. Disconnect the expander and see if the TIVO stablizes on it's own

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The problem could be with solely with the expander and I don't think the expander is covered under the Tivo extended warranty.

Most hard disk manufacturers have a diagnostic rescue disk that you can use to boot up a computer and check their model of hard disk. You could connect the tivo disks to a computer and boot up using the diagnostic disk and run the utility to check the disks that way.