1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo HD stuck

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ldavenport, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ldavenport

ldavenport New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    First my tivo wouldn't connect to tivo so I restarted it. Still was stuck on the connecting phase when trying to connect to tivo. I got the idea to do a kickstart it had worked once before when I was having trouble with it. Now it's stuck in a cycle of powering up then almost there then the gsod then starts all over. I'm going to unplug it and wait for some ideas.

2. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Active Member

Oct 2, 2003
    lots of info here about the grey screen...search for it

3. ldavenport

ldavenport New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    What do you mean by the grey screen?

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

5. ldavenport

ldavenport New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I'm not having problems with a grey screen. I did search it but of course didn't find help.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Most likely bad hard drive or power supply.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you get the welcome screen and then the screen goes grey, that's usually a sign of a problem with the motherboard communicating with the hard drive (several different possible reasons for that-bad controller, bad cable, bad drive, bad power supply, etc)

Are you getting the welcome screen, and then getting the just a few more minutes screen before it reboots?

Because the welcome screen is on the motherboard, but the just a few more minutes screen is on the hard drive.

Which number KS did you use?

8. ldavenport

ldavenport New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I think it was ks 57

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Have you ever had the drive out before or used WinMFS or the MFS Live cd?

Have you ever opened up that TiVo to visually check the capacitors in the power supply?

10. ldavenport

ldavenport New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    No. I haven't ever done any of those. I'm thinking of giving up on the whole thing. It has a lifetime membership but I only paid 100 for it. I got my money's worth. Now I'm thing about what I want to do. Maybe just stick with the one tivo I have working and get a cable box for the other tv. I'm disappointed. I wish I would've left it alone.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Read my PM to you before you make any decisions about it.

Or I could try to talk you through the process of getting it running again.

12. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Active Member

Oct 2, 2003
    sorry, I assumed your used of the term "GSOD" meant you were getting the grey screen.

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    GREEN screen of death, inspired by the Windows BSOD (blue)

EDIT:

Since the grey screen is usually the result of the motherboard not being able to communicate with the drive, it'd be more like the grey screen of disconnect.

14. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    One more thing to try that I did last month that worked. Unplug the tivo first. If you have a wireless network adapter, unplug it. Then unplug the coaxial cable. Now try and reboot. I feel like my issue was the power supply and not having enough power to boot up but when I unplugged everything, it had just enough to boot up. Give it a shot.

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think I see new power supply capacitors in your immediate future.